Reaching a lull

Options
I’ve lost a little over 30lbs in the past 5 months and have 30 more to go. However, for the past few weeks, I’ve fluctuated between 3lbs and can’t seem to breakthrough to the other side. I’ve increased my workouts and have continued eating healthy meals but am not seeing any progress yet.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Are the "healthy meals" within your calories? That's what matters.

Redo your "Goals" and set it to, "Lose 1 pound per week" and Save. Your calories may change.

Log all your food as accurately as you can, here's a how-to: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

If you exercise, add that into the "Exercise" tab. Eat more on those days.

Give it 4-6 weeks, sometimes it's just a temporary hormonal issue (for menstruating women.)

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    You might have reached a maintenance level for your height and weight.

I second what @cmriverside says.
    Re-evaluate and be a bit more specific about portion sizes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    With summer upon us, do you have kids home? Have you changed up meals, grabbing a bite of their food here and there while preparing extra meals or lunches?

Been doing any summer travel? Cabin pressure and long drives can contribute to temporary water weight gain. (As can unfamiliar or “gotta try that” vacation foods, at least in my case!)

Increased alcohol poolside?

Right now, the heat where I live is affecting me like it hasn’t the past few years since losing a large amount. I forgot to take my wedding band off before bed and had the devil getting it off swollen hands this morning. When I walk in this heat , I get “sausage fingers”.

And, as others have already mentioned l, you’re weighing everything, right?

My weakness is the delicious dried chocolate coconut chips I put on my morning cottage cheese and the homemade ice cream after dinner. Sneaking a few pinches of that adds up fast. That may have to go on the “temptations I can’t stay out of” verboten list real soon.

And having lost 30 pounds, your calorie requirements will be less, since you weigh less now. MFP is inconsistent about recalculating calorie needs. Be sure to go to you goals page and update once in a while. You may still be eating the calories a heavier you needs.
  • sjezip
    sjezip Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some great support has already been offered up. Thanks everyone who commented. I would just say that paying too much attention to a scale can be both positive and negative. When a “Rut” sets in, it makes it hard to see it day after day on the scale and not have thoughts that aren’t as healthy and or negative in nature.

I lost 70 pounds of bloat and fat since last March. I’ve also added many pounds of lean muscle on top of that. I’ve used many approaches mentioned by others in this thread.

We all know we need rest days from working out but I’d add that we also need rest days from day to day stress.

I’m happy to hear you made it out of the rut. Keep smiling and be happy with what you’ve done. Never really completely satisfied, but happy with all the progress may need to be a regular reminder that most of us could benefit from.

Proud of you!!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    A "lull" of a week or 2 can just be water retention, 4 weeks and it means you're at your new maintenance calories and you need to go lower or step up your activity level.