Getting motivated?

Options
JLG1986
JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
What is everyone’s top way to get motivated and stay motivated long term for weight loss/fitness?

I’ve lost weight before, and I think I understand the mechanics of the process just fine. But I’m really struggling with motivation to get on a routine this time. Somehow I can’t stop self-sabotaging almost immediately. 🤯😢

Replies

• Traquette
    Traquette Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I struggle sometimes with motivation too.

A person very dear to me used to say "don't think: do"

I try to remember this as often as possible.

When I come home from work, I don't think about what needs to be done in the appartement, or if I feel like exercising, or whatever. I change into my running clothes and I step out. Same thing in the morning on the weekend.
    Sometimes I do great, sometimes I don't. But I'm out and ready and I move.

It works so far, as far as jogging goes. Not there yet with healthy cooking but I'm working on it !

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    I think I'm on the same wavelength as others above: I think motivation is a fickle thing, an unreliable partner.

Some people will talk about discipline as an alternative, but - speaking as an hedonistic aging hippie flake - I'm not great at discipline, either. But I got active, and lost weight, anyway.

For me, what helped was a mindset of seeking ideally enjoyable - but at least relatively easy, tolerable, practical - new habits that would take me gradually to reasonable fitness and a healthy weight, and be sustainable enough to keep me there long term.

In other words, my advice would be: Don't think about how to make weight loss or fitness fast, think about how to make it easier for YOU, in a personalized way. Gradual progress is progress. Daily perfection isn't necessary: Pretty good, on average, will work OK.

Other people here, articles in the blogosphere, etc., can give us ideas to try. But each of us has a individual preferences, strengths, challenges in lifestyles. Our tactics need to fit within that framework, or they won't work. So, try things, analyze the results, adjust. If something doesn't work for you, it's not a personal failure. It's useful learning, on the path of narrowing down to the tactics that will work.

For myself, I thought of weight loss as a fun science fair experiment for grown ups: Finding manageable ways to tweak my routine eating habits (not micromanage daily!) so that I felt mostly full, happy, energetic and well-nourished at a reduced calorie intake, relying on foods that I enjoy eating and find affordable/practical. I decided I wasn't going to do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing to continue permanently, except for a sensibly moderate calorie deficit until I reached a healthy weight. For me, that worked pretty well. (So far: I'm in year 8 of maintaining a healthy weight after about 30 years - most of my adult life - of being overweight/obese.)

Fitness was similar: Finding things that were ideally fun, so fun I'd do them even if they weren't good for me. (I was lucky: I found those things, and I liked them so much I'd do other not-as-fun things to get better at the fun things. That was powerful.)

There's no way I'm maintaining white-knuckled motivation, willpower, or discipline for the rest of my natural life (short though that may be for me at age 68 :D;) ). Finding relatively easy, practical new habits - ones that can run almost on autopilot when other parts of life get demanding - has worked OK so far.

Best wishes!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When I need to cut, I find that if I can make it to the two week mark, I am over the hump and can continue successfully.