More protein please

Options
2»

Replies

• pkt67z
    pkt67z Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can stand yogurt, oikos has some decent ones that have up to 20 grams of protein.
  • HappyWalker16
    HappyWalker16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could also try seitan. It's high protein and low calorie, and pretty versatile in different recipes. I like to saute it with some vegetables and put it in a pita.

I also second greek yogurt!
  • ymg11868
    ymg11868 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Premier protein has 30 grams of proteins and is 150 calories depending on what you mix it with.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,337 Member
    edited May 26
    Options
    You could also try seitan. It's high protein and low calorie, and pretty versatile in different recipes. I like to saute it with some vegetables and put it in a pita.

Low calorie? I'm getting 370 kcal/100gr, way more calories than low fat yogurt for example or eggs.
    (But protein content is impressive though!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options

I do like seitan, but I'd just point out that plain seitan is not a balanced complete protein (in essential amino acids, EAAs). Some brands of seitan have foods in their ingredient list that would tend to fill out the amino acid profile (with more lysine), however.

There's some variability in the research I've seen about its PDCAAS (Protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score) of seitan, but it doesn't seem to be a world-beater in bioavailability to say the least. (Yes, PDCAAS has flaws, but it's one thing to consider when evaluating protein sources, especially plant protein sources. No, I'm not a carnivore. I'm a vegetarian.)

I hope people know that seitan is gluten, pretty much. (That's OK by me ;) , but I know some people are gluten sensitive or celiac.)
    Lietchi wrote: »

Low calorie? I'm getting 370 kcal/100gr, way more calories than low fat yogurt for example or eggs.
    (But protein content is impressive though!)

Seitan protein efficiency (calorie "cost") varies a lot by recipe/brand, seems like. Yogurt can vary, too.

For myself, I find it helpful to look at the ratio of calories to protein grams, or the percent of calories from protein, to evaluate vegetarian sources (alongside EAA completeness and less well-pinned down bioavailability factors).

The plain nonfat Greek yogurt I usually eat (Kirkland from Costco) has 59 calories per 100 grams with 10.6 grams of protein. That's 5.57 calories (from all sources) per gram of protein, 72% of calories from protein.

I don't eat a lot of seitan, but the most common brand/type I've bought is Upton's Naturals traditional chunks, which USDA Food Central says is 158 calories per 100 grams with 31.6 grams of protein, 5 calories (from all sources) per gram of protein, 74% of calories from protein.

The yogurt's EAA complete, with a PDCAAS at or around 1 (highest). The seitan (in that brand) is not EAA complete, with a lower PDCAAS.

I don't know whether anyone else cares, but I use simple rules of thumb to evaluate vegetarian protein sources at the store, if I'm considering something new. For myself, I figure that if some individual food/ingredient has around 10 (or fewer) calories per gram of protein, it's an OK-ish vegetarian protein source as a standalone or ingredient. Evaluating a full dish/meal or the like, I figure 30 or fewer calories per gram of protein is reasonable at my calorie level. Bioavailability and EAA completeness matter, but I don't have quick rules of thumb for those for myself.

Yes, I'm a protein geek. I'm not ashamed. ;):D If your head is spinning, feel free to ignore me.
  • jimp6
    jimp6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite high protein breakfast- 3 Eggs, 2 scoops whey protein, 200g pumpkin puree a bit of cinnamon and vanilla extract, mix them in a bowl and make mini waffles with them. This makes two servings (4 waffles) 293 calories, 6g fiber, 36g protein. Spread some greek yogurt on them for extra protein. Thaw and add some frozen berries. Super yummy, i eat them at least 4 times a week and it's easy to adjust the portions to min/max macros.

If you aren't into the pumkin spice flavor, you can mash up a banana instead but that adds more sugar to the mix
  • AusTexNatalie
    AusTexNatalie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    th8835 wrote: »
    Pumpkin seeds are high in protein and low in carbs.
    Unfortunately, pumpkin seeds (and some cottage cheeses) are high in fat too so that's not always an option if you're going strictly for high protein.

• gunnsgirl91303
    gunnsgirl91303 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein are you aiming for each day? Do you eat eggs? Do you eat meat? I go over my protein allowance (MFP underestimates my protein needs) and I only eat 2 meals a day, both containing meat and/or eggs. Are you getting protein from protein shakes? That is inferior protein (especially plant protein) and doesn't generally give you enough per serving.

I hope you figure it all out! Best of luck!
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - so many great ideas shared!

One of my favorite summer salads is what I call a “spoon salad”. I pound and grill chicken breast, then chop up really finely (or you can use ground chicken, but I didn’t like the texture as much). Then I throw in any and all raw veggies like cabbage, kale, cauliflower, radish, whatever I have. Top off with some feta, balsamic glaze, and chopped almonds or maybe some sunflower seeds. Tons of good protein and flavor. And now after typing all that I’m hungry 🙃

Also I try to get a lot of protein at breakfast and lunch because I have the most control over those meals. Dinner is sometimes out or my kids gobble up all the meat at dinner so I like to make sure I can get a lot early in the day.
  • drgregdc
    drgregdc Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 15
    Options
    If you do any meals that have bread or wraps you can substitute for the cottage cheese wrap.
    1 cup cottage cheese
    2 eggs
    Blend it smooth.
    Add seasonings that you want: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper.
    Add to a pan with parchment paper (i wrinkle it and the spray it with avacado spray).
    Spread it out.
    Cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes until sides are brown. Let cool.
    37g of protein plus whatever meat you add.
    I doubted the idea of this but tried it and love it.
  • kevymetal_
    kevymetal_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My target is over 200g protein a day. P- 36% C-39% Fat 25%. Personally I'm not worried about low carb because I go to the gym 5-6 days a week. To hit my protein targets, I use protein powder 1-2x per day, sometimes up to 4x. Most of my meat is chicken breast, turkey breast, ground chicken or turkey, extra lean ground beef and pork tenderloin. If I'm having eggs, I'll always add egg whites as well (275g is 124c with 27.5g of protein). Unflavored 0% Greek yogurt is the GOAT. Look for the high protein stuff that has 19g per serving. I always buy whole grain bread, wraps and pasta and I always check to check the nutritional labels for the ones with the highest amount of protein and fiber. Cheese is also high protein so as long as it works in your calories, allow yourself some cheese. For veggies, peas and beans are great sources (edamame beans are my favorite). Spinach is also super high in protein for a veggie. Just cook it down so it seems like you're eating a lot less of it. One of the biggest things I learned was making sure you're getting enough calories otherwise you will struggle hitting your protein goals. I had my calorie goal way too low and was struggling to get enough protein. Once I increased it by a few hundred calories a day, not only was it easier to increase my protein, I wasn't as hungry and I had way more energy for the gym. And I'm still losing body fat.
  • natf711
    natf711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've swapped out regular milk for Fair Life milk, twice the protein (plus less sugar and calories).
  • TracyCAZ
    TracyCAZ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been deliberately cutting back on meat consumption, but wanted to supplement my protein intake. I tried the Protality shakes, which have 30 grams of protein. They are pricy, so I tried the Walmart Equate version. Same amount of protein, but a lot cheaper. I like getting about half a day's recommended protein in one shake.