Weight loss after 50

jciccimarro
jciccimarro Posts: 2 Member
edited July 23 in Motivation and Support
Hello
I’m a 55 year old woman who consistently eats a healthy diet however the last month has not been good.
My question is is it feasible to lose weight with a healthy diet and moderate exercise in your 50s?
Thanks for your help in advance.
J.

Best Answers

• Rdkngcstm
    Rdkngcstm Posts: 1 Member
    Answer ✓
    I'm 54 (man), and I've noticed that if I do not eat healthier and find some mild activity, the pounds just creep up gradually. I've switched to lower carbs and golf/walks more, and that seems to be doing the trick. 54 vs. 40 (when I've done this before) = MUCH different.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    Answer ✓
    Yes, I started MFP at 45 yrs old, it took me 3 yrs to lose 135 lbs, so I was 48 when I reached my goal and have kept it off, with a few up and down fluctuations for 12 yrs. So yes with hard work and consistency anything is possible. My advice just concentrate on 5 or 10 lbs at a time and don’t give up
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,497 Member
    Answer ✓
    I lost about 50 pounds at age 59-60, after being overweight to class 1 obese for most of my adult life. I'm also severely hypothyroid (though properly medicated for it), which I don't think makes a difference but many seem to assume does.

I didn't greatly increase exercise to lose weight, mostly just kept up the same routine I'd been doing for a dozen years while remaining obese. I definitely made changes to my eating habits, finding ways to eat foods I enjoy that added up to reasonable nutrition on average, at appropriate calories. I'd also been a generally healthy eater while overweight, just eating too much of everything. Once I got my calorie intake where it needed to be, and found how to eat to make that personally sustainable, I lost weight.

Honestly, it was simpler than I expected, once I seriously committed to do it . . . though not psychologically easy at every second, of course. The rewards in improved quality of life have been very much worth the effort. I'm 68 now, still at a healthy weight.

Best wishes!
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 508 Member
    Answer ✓
    I decided to finally lose the weight for good and I was 61. It's 13 years late and I ended up losing 75 -85 pounds AND have kept it off. Ate a healthy diet and exercised. You can do it.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,088 Member
    Answer ✓
    Absolutely! I lost 90 pounds in my 50's ( post-menopausal). For most of that time, my only exercise was walking.

You can do this!
  • fred2004
    fred2004 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 19 Answer ✓
    Absolutely! I am 71 and I put on 45 lbs. following hip surgery and Covid. I had trouble losing more than about 20 lbs. until I started using this app. I have been very strict in following it and making sure I was in a calorie deficit each day. I do, however, have a fairly rigorous exercise schedule. I run two of every three days (two on, one off), for an average of 6-7 miles on each run. I also do gym workouts in my basement for three of every four days (legs, biceps, triceps and core) for about 50 minutes. I have lost 27 lbs since February and am finally at my initial goal weight. I now want to take an additional 10 lbs off and remain around that weight. Exercise has helped a lot and I recommend at least 150 min/week. But the most important thing is to live with a calorie deficit, which this app helps you do. You will lose the weight.

Answers

• jciccimarro
    jciccimarro Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for all the encouraging words - I will keep at it.