Sugar

Options
How does someone let the app know a teaspoon of sugar is 4.2 grams and not 100 as shown?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    You can make your own entry for sugar at 4.2 grams. Sometimes when you look at entries it may say
    "1 serving" and that may equal 100grams (which would be outrageous), but I make my own entries all the time and it stays on my foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,548 Member
    Options
    Ok, you can log 4.2gr of sugar by using an entry of 100gr and logging it as 0.042. You can also find an entry that has the amount of sugar as 1g units and log it as 4.2. how much sugar is one teaspoon really depends on the size of the spoon, no? So weigh the amount of sugar you use in grams and log is as outlined as above.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    look around in the database listings. There may by a more accurate sugar listed.
    I found a table salt listing recently that even had a green confirmation symbol attached that had sodium wrong by 100x. Maybe the composer misplaced a decimal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Ok, you can log 4.2gr of sugar by using an entry of 100gr and logging it as 0.042. You can also find an entry that has the amount of sugar as 1g units and log it as 4.2. how much sugar is one teaspoon really depends on the size of the spoon, no? So weigh the amount of sugar you use in grams and log is as outlined as above.

In the U.S./"imperial" system of measurement, a teaspoon is a unit of volume, just a bit less than 5 ml, not a description for a type of utensil. So, no, how much sugar is in one tsp of sugar shouldn't depend on the size of the spoon, because all teaspoons should be the same size by volume, just as all yardsticks should be the same length. Of course, different users may still underfill or overfill the teaspoon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

In the U.S./"imperial" system of measurement, a teaspoon is a unit of volume, just a bit less than 5 ml, not a description for a type of utensil. So, no, how much sugar is in one tsp of sugar shouldn't depend on the size of the spoon, because all teaspoons should be the same size by volume, just as all yardsticks should be the same length. Of course, different users may still underfill or overfill the teaspoon.

In theory, yes. But guess how much I thought 2 T of peanut butter equaled before I got a food scale :lol:
  • DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for more accurate information about the weight of sugar in a teaspoon, checking database listings or reliable sources like authoritative health websites, food databases or culinary resources can provide accurate measurements.
    These sources often detail precise measurements based on standardized values for common ingredients like sugar.