Is there a weekly summary chart for exercise somewhere?

Options
Years ago when I was shedding my pregnancy weight after each kid I used an app called My Food Diary. My favourite thing about it was the weekly summary chart that showed me how many minutes of exercise I’d put in each day of the previous week. MFP has that for steps but not for exercise, and since I swim a lot and my FitBit does not recognize that as steps (which is fair, since there are no steps!) I’m not really interested in my weekly summary of steps. I am very interested in a weekly summary of my daily exercise minutes. Is that somewhere in the app and I’m just not seeing it?

Best Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,374 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Does Fitbit not offer a weekly view?

MFP has the Weekly Report (in the More-menu in the app) - for exercise you need to scroll down a bit:

hsp35jgdnz6w.jpg
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    On the website (don't know about the app) under Exercise there's a calendar button beside the day you view. Click that, and you can view your food and/or exercise diaries for any date range. In the past that feature has often been broken, but I tested it right now to view my exercise entries for the last week and it worked fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    On the web version there is also "Reports" which can show exercise for 7 days and/or up to 90 days (on the free version) https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,374 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Ah, I think the issue is Fitbit specifically: it doesn't send over individual exercise sessions, so that would explain not showing exercise minutes (as well as not showing exercise sessions in your diary).

Answers

• CanadaGracie
    CanadaGracie Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 20
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Does Fitbit not offer a weekly view?

MFP has the Weekly Report (in the More-menu in the app) - for exercise you need to scroll down a bit:

hsp35jgdnz6w.jpg

Fitbit will recognize my swimming as “intense activity” but for some reason refuses to recognize it as exercise even when my heart rate is in the vigorous and peak ranges. I can manually log my exercise on the FitBit app but I’m already doing that on MFP so I hadn’t bothered. I can just start doing that to see an weekly summary on the FitBit app, I just wondered if the chart was somewhere in MFP because I’m new to it and keep finding new features by accident so who knows what I might have missed 😂

I found the page you mentioned but that chart only shows steps, not minutes of exercise per day :( Thank you though!

• CanadaGracie
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Ah, I think the issue is Fitbit specifically: it doesn't send over individual exercise sessions, so that would explain not showing exercise minutes (as well as not showing exercise sessions in your diary).

Ah, ok!
  • CanadaGracie
    Options
    On the website (don't know about the app) under Exercise there's a calendar button beside the day you view. Click that, and you can view your food and/or exercise diaries for any date range. In the past that feature has often been broken, but I tested it right now to view my exercise entries for the last week and it worked fine.

Thank you! I’ve only ever used the app but I’ll try the website now!
  • CanadaGracie
    Options
    On the web version there is also "Reports" which can show exercise for 7 days and/or up to 90 days (on the free version) https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports

Thank you! I probably should have thought to check the website but I’ve only ever used the app!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I’ve only ever used the app but I’ll try the website now!
    Using the website on my PC is much easier and faster for adding to my food diary than using the app, imo.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,946 Member
    Options
    Ain't it peachy then that Fitbit is about to kill the website as of the beginning of July 2024....

you may want to do a complete data export because the app is supposed to have EVERYTHING already... except for the things it doesn't have, of course.

I guess it was fun while the web (and open standards) lasted. Now everyone will use their self contained app because "impenetrable security" is an app guaranteed. And totally non coincidentally complete control of our eyeballs is also an app guarantee.

So far the closest I've been able to find to a fitbit charge 5 or charge 6 is the garmin venue 3... closest that is except for the 3x increase in price.

While the vivoactive 5 also looked promising, and much closer in price, it appears to be using the previous generation of garmin sensor... which makes the vivocative 5 HR less accurate than the fitbit charge 5 and charge 6 numbers, whereas with the venu 3 there's at least parity if not an advantage to garmin.

Main interest is automatic detection of walk/run/general activity and accurate automatic detection of sleep and napping. None of which is done "better" by garmin though there's some hope for parity. Due to now officially discovered health concerns more timely and accurate detection of HR hitting >140 has become a "thing", so the fitbit habit of "loose" HR tracking should ideally be improved upon.

But so far... that's all I've found as a charge 5/6 replacement... which is not a lot. Especially when you compare $150-$200 in northern money vs $450 to $550 for marginal if any improvement other than sticking it to the google man!
  • H2OOOO
    H2OOOO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well maybe I can post this?? Fitbit kills any mention of Garmin and gives me a warning!!
    I just ordered a Venu3 on Ebay for $309. That's still pricey but I wear a Garmin 35 (old) when I am walking. I have a Versa 4. The Garmin website and also the phone APP can be customize (At a Glance) to give you a dashboard (not as good as Fitbit) but still a decent one.