Once a Cheater...

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been a member for a few months now, but I've been occasionally cheating with my diet. :ohwell: Now I'm taking my diet serious seeing as the holiday season is coming pretty fast and all of those feasts can be pretty tempting. I find it hard to get motivation from time to time though. What motivates you guys?

Replies

• JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    Those holidays are coming quick too! I know I'm gonna have to cheat on Ms.Diet for a day.:laugh:

But my motivation is my kids! I want to be around to see them grow up and just be healthy for them.
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Sounds silly but my dad. Hes the one who took me to the gym with him and helped me sort out healthy meals. Although thats changed a bit, I will get back on track once Ive sorted uni gym membership and things, but it will all be down to him!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My motivation is the holiday season as well....except I want to look fierce so that my in laws are drowning in jealousy...wait....did I just type that?? lol
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I guess motivation comes with being fed up for me. I just got tired of sitting on my butt all the time so I decided I was going to do something about it. This is my attitude that has worked for me.. If you are bored, then go to the gym, get up and be active. There's no reason to sit on the couch and watch tv all night long if you can move your body. Watch what you eat also because you will notice on the days that you do cheat the day after you feel like crap.. believe me I know from experience.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My motivation to keep healthy is the fact that the unhealthy stuff just hurts us more than we know, and I don't even crave that stuff anymore..
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    not always a cheater, thats for sure!! We can do this ladiess! xoxo :bigsmile: :heart:
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started my journey last May...made it until mid-November and lost over 60 lbs. Then the holidays came and I started "cheating." So when I re-started this past August, I had to undo a lot of damage. I'm almost back where I was (within 3 lbs) so this time I'M NOT CHEATING. Well, maybe for a day...or two. But how quickly during the holiday seasons one can lose track.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I need to remind myself of what I looked like in the summer beach photos. I thought I was more Baywatch, but after I saw the pics, I realized, I was more like Free Willy.

And sweaters are bulky and make it worse. That's what I need to remind myself.
  • jlowensby
    Options
    Motivation:

Seeing the new me in the mirror!
    The pants that hadn't fit for a year are slipping on easier!
    Sex is more fun and enjoyable!
    That I can see a hottie emerging day by day!
    I feel better..not as tired any longer!
    Compliments from other people!
    Seeing the number on the scale go down makes me very happy!

So many things keep me going! I lay in bed at night and imagine the new healthier me looking HOT lol
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been a member for a few months now, but I've been occasionally cheating with my diet. :ohwell: Now I'm taking my diet serious seeing as the holiday season is coming pretty fast and all of those feasts can be pretty tempting. I find it hard to get motivation from time to time though. What motivates you guys?

Well, I've started a post "lets get a jump on the holidays" that could help to give you some ideas of healthier options, which motivates me because I know that I won't have the guilt of all those extra calories. :)
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think a large percentage of us on MFP cheat from time to time. I know I do. One on the things that motivates me other than looking in the mirror to see how much weight I have gained is when I enter my foods and click at the end of the day. When I see what I will weigh in five weeks if I continue to eat like this, it give me motivation to do it another day. With the holidays, I plan to enter every thing I eat because when I click at the end of the day, it will also tell me what I will weigh in five weeks if I eat every day like it is a holiday.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I don't diet!! Diets never work. You must make it an every day for the rest of my life change. If you eat healthy and clean 95% of the time you won't trip when holidays come around.
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Know you asked about motivation, but wanted to offer a little pearl of wisdom I once heard regarding the holidays and all that food and how to stay on track.....

Just remember it's a holiDAY not a holiWEEK or a holiMONTH !!!

:laugh:
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Heya =). What motivates me is seeing the scale. Whether its good or bad and I have found that Wednesday is my best weighin day. Seems like I weigh more Sunday-Tuesday, its just weird..lol. But I know I have had a bad week just last week and we went out to the movies and I tore up a large popcorn with my bf, had pizza twice last week and went out for dinner with friends on Saturday. I weigh myself everyday just to see and on Sunday I had "gained" 6lbs. I wasnt too happy, but said I dont count it until Wed and I will just be sure to behave. I havent exercised since Friday (official exercise anyways), but I went bowling and I just stay busy moving and I seem to burn a fair amount of calories just doing everyday things. I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost .6lbs since last Wed. It isnt as much as I would like, but I am proud that even when I "misbehave" with eating and enjoy myself, that I know I need to burn extra calories and that I can recover and keep my weight off. Thats my motivation, just knowing I am losing by myself and MFP is helping me so much! We all need cheat days bc if we feel deprived we will binge when the time comes. I make sure I treat myself at least a few times a week. I just make better choices. What do you cheat with? There could be GREAT alternatives out there that arent pricey bc I am all about saving money! =D Feel free to add me, I feel as though I am a motivator and I will always give encouraging words! I have a long journey ahead of me and I would love to keep making friends along the way =)
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    the fact that it works. I thought going ou tto eat was a treat, an excuse to eat what i wanted, but that was kick in the teeth! so now i am not as tempted. but not perfect!
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivator is i keep a picture of me at my highest weight on my fridge. Sounds weird but whenever i go to pull food out of the fridge i look at that and remember that eating so frequently and unhealthily is how i got that big and seriously it helps me say, wow i'm really not that hungry. Also, i plan my whole day in the morning. So i plan every snack and meal so that i know exactly what i can eat and when i will eat it. AND you have to let yourself indulge from time to time. After a really hard workout, i often let myself have a little bit of ice cream. I found that when i am REALLY craving something sweet, if i dont let myself eat it i just eat other stuff trying to forget about it and than end up eating anyway so its better just to let myself have a little bit in the first place. Sorry this was so rambly! Hope it can help you a little! Good luck!!! now you can do it!
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    Staying skinny. And never outgrowing my clothes. Being skinny makes me feel good & pretty. Not that I think people that are not super thin are ugly, I just prefer it on me. I wouldn't mind gaining a few pounds really, I like how it looks too. However, I am like an A-cup so it looks ridiculous (to me) when my belly sticks out more than my tiny boobs : (
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Post a fat pic of yourself on the fridge and pantry! That always helps! lol

Good luck on slimming through the holidays. it's always been my weakest time cuz I'm like "well it's cold, I can wear a hoodie and hid my rolls and the new year is right around the corner...i'll start then!" Yeah right! :laugh:
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go! If you do it at home, make everything with lower calorie items and log everything before you eat it. That way, you can see what's going on first and adjust it depending on what you need, more or less. :happy:
  • lbigham1
    Options
    If you eat the things you love in moderation, it's not cheating. :love: It's all about planning. If I know i have a social event coming up, I increase my activity to balance it out the extra calories.