Struggling

I went through surgical menopause in my 30’s. My Dr took me off my hormones and I’m struggling with losing any weight. My weight has been the same for the past year and half. I’m eating in my calorie deficit. To be honest I’m not a consistent exerciser. I have severe arthritis and it has caused it hard for me to walk. But I try to do some form of exercise 3-4 x a week. I do manage to get on average 9k steps in. So frustrating. Any natural help with horses that may help me?
Tagged:

Answers

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Any natural help with horses that may help me?

uh....? Auto-correct, "hormones"?

I think maybe talk to your doctor?

I don't know, I lost weight (80 pounds) after menopause. It wasn't particularly difficult for me to lose weight.

If you aren't losing then you aren't eating the right number of calories. A "calorie deficit" by definition is going to result in weight loss.

Whatever number you're using, lower it by 250 calories per day and see if that works. There is a number, you just have to experiment and find it.
  • lehtomakitoivo
    lehtomakitoivo Posts: 4 Member
    lol yes hormones!
    I’ve been struggling with weight since. I also struggle at times with low blood sugars. It’s like my hormones are running a muck. But I will try lowing but right now I only get 1323 calories. My Dr and I are in a disagreement about me going back on them, I might have to find someone who specifically deals with hormones.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,185 Member
    How do you calculate 1323? Are you putting everything on a digital food scale?
  • lehtomakitoivo
    That is what it came up with but I don’t go over 1320.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member

But how are you measuring the number of calories you are eating? Do you weigh your food on a food scale and measure all liquids? If you aren't losing on 1300 calories, you are eating more calories than you think you are.
  • brdfmw6qj9
    brdfmw6qj9 Posts: 1 Member
    Are you doing any sort of strength training? I’m experiencing early menopause (44yrs old) due to cancer treatments. My weight was alway with +/- 5lbs of my ideal weight but over the last two years I’ve gained 20lbs and my energy levels were shot. I started running again and really restricting my calories hoping to lose weight and get my energy up. 2 months ago I started working with a personal trainer that only works with cancer patients. He has me focusing strictly on strength training. I haven’t lost weight but also haven’t been focusing on my diet until now but there are no words to describe how much better I feel just from those regular training sessions. The weight gain thru me into a big depression and it took everything I had to take that first step with the trainer but im so grateful I did. It really has changed my perspective and outlook. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • cmriverside
    lol yes hormones!
    I’ve been struggling with weight since. I also struggle at times with low blood sugars. It’s like my hormones are running a muck. But I will try lowing but right now I only get 1323 calories. My Dr and I are in a disagreement about me going back on them, I might have to find someone who specifically deals with hormones.

Unless you are less than five feet tall and completely sedentary then that's awfully low calories to not be losing weight.

What do you mean you struggle with low blood sugars? If that is a diagnosis you've received, you would benefit from a referral to a Registered Dietician to get you on a decent meal plan that will address your multiple medical conditions and a physical therapist to help you find an exercise routine you can do. It's possible there might be another medical issue, too. Start with an endocrinologist (for the horses.)

It shouldn't be hard to lose weight if you are in fact only eating 1323 calories. I would reiterate to use a food scale and vet all your food entries from this site's food database. It's often wrong. I hope you'll find some professional help with your food and exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,185 Member
    musicfan68 wrote: »

But how are you measuring the number of calories you are eating? Do you weigh your food on a food scale and measure all liquids? If you aren't losing on 1300 calories, you are eating more calories than you think you are.

^^this is what i meant by my question
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    As another set of questions, are you very petite, maybe in a somewhat older demographic? (No shade, I'm 68 F myself.) Like others, I'm also confused by eating 1323, walking 9k steps daily, exercising (even mildly) 3-4 times per week and no weight loss. You're right: That's a very low calorie intake in that scenario to not be losing weight for a year and a half.

I hear what you're saying about early menopause. (Mine was also early, though a little later than yours, mid-40s, from chemotherapy; then I took anti-estrogen drugs for 7.5 years after that.) I don't get as many steps as you do, but my milder arthritis does let me exercise somewhat more. None of that utterly prevented weight loss (later, at 59-60).

Have other medical problems been ruled out? I agree with the suggestion to seek out an endocrinologist, if you haven't already. That's assuming you're using a food scale, choosing accurate entries from MFP's crowd-sourced database, not including so-called cheat days or meals, carefully logging every morsel (bites, licks, tastes, condiments, beverages, etc.), and all those basic kinds of things.

Personally, I did not find hormone levels to affect weight loss in insurmountable ways, for me. The main effects tend to be through fatigue (so reduced activity), appetite increase, water retention, or sleep interruption (causing the fatigue). I do find - since I'm severely hypothyroid as well - that if my thyroid levels get out of whack, fatigue does lower my calorie needs somewhat, but it isn't a huge percentage, for me.

There are foods or supplements that people tout as containing phytoestrogens, plant-based analogs of estrogen. There's (in my reading of it) some scientific evidence, though fairly weak and mixed, supporting the idea that phytoestrogens have some benefits, though not much strong evidence of a major effect in the area of weight loss. Maybe some. (Probably the most commonly consumed phytoestrogens are soy isoflavones in soy products, though there are some in other veggies/fruits and other foods.)

I'd hesitate to pursue increased phytoestrogens without medical consultation. I don't know what triggered your surgery, and there can be interactions with prescription drugs that people should know about.

Can you discuss this situation with your primary care doctor, maybe get a referral to an endocrinologist, and also to a registered dietitian who can review your food logs with you, and see if anything jumps out?

I hope you're able to find a solution!
  • lehtomakitoivo
    I am 5’ tall 55 yo and small boned. I have had several health issues. I have reactivate hypoglycemia with borderline dmII. I do weigh and measure but I will say not 100%. I think I do need to see an endocrinologist. Because it’s very frustrating and my sugar issue is a pain to deal with.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,164 Member
    @lehtomakitoivo

I am barely 4'11"" also small boned and much, much older than you. I gained 2 lbs. in the last few months due to medication and reduced activity since I can't exercise as much as I did due to my arthritis, knees problems, and cardiac arrhythmia. But I am still within my upper wt. range, and I have been in maintenance for almost 14 years. However, if I want to lose those extra 2 lbs. I have to eat below 1200 daily calories and be very careful with my logging or increase my exercise calories, but don't dare to eat them back. Very hard to do for me right now.
    I do understand your frustration, but I don't understand why your doctor stopped the HRT regimen. You are very young (I was 48 when I had a total hysterectomy and I was on estrogen for several years), and you are at risk of early osteoporosis, unless you still have your ovaries.
    My Gyn told me that things have changed with respect to HRT supplementation, especially if they removed your uterus, since you will only estrogen need and no progesterone.
    I agree with the suggestion of seeing an endocrinologist and also asking for a complete thyroid panel to make sure that you are not having additional problems. Besides trying to resolve your hypoglycemia. Don’t let it pass.
  • cmriverside
    edited June 24
    I am 5’ tall 55 yo and small boned. I have had several health issues. I have reactivate hypoglycemia with borderline dmII. I do weigh and measure but I will say not 100%. I think I do need to see an endocrinologist. Because it’s very frustrating and my sugar issue is a pain to deal with.

In addition to the helpful post above from @Gisel2015 (now that we know your height/age) I am glad you're getting referred to an endocrinologist. Blood sugar, stalled weight loss, joint pain, and the induced menopause are worth investigating, for sure. You'll be glad you did. Ask them for a dietician and a physical therapist.

In addition to that, and while you're waiting - it still may be an issue with your food logging, too. If you want, we can look at your FOOD diary and see if we spot some common logging errors. You'd need to go to your FOOD/Settings and set it to "Public."

In general though - I had to log every single thing with my digital food scale and I HAD TO make SURE the entries in myfitnesspal's database that I was using were correct. Your size and calorie goal makes that even more critical for you. I know for a fact that I make 100-300 calories per day in errors, and my daily calorie goal is nearly double yours so I have "room" for error - I just set my numbers lower and have a margin for error built in to my Goal. You really don't have room for not being as accurate as you can reasonably be if what you're doing hasn't worked. At least get your part of it under control before seeing the endocrinologist.

Here's a couple threads that can be helpful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1