Going Bottomless @ Thanksgiving Dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    it can be like a compote or a crumble (depending on your topping) I do apple crumble pies minus the crust. same ol apple fillling with a topping made from oatmeal flour butter sugar and cinnamon
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie is essentially a custard. It works - as in cooks properly - without a crust quite well. Custard crusts are always mushy anyway.

If you have the time, a fantastic presentation would be to make individual ramikans, and then turn them out upside down to serve. Make pie crust leaves, cornucopia or some such and cook them separately with a little egg wash. Stand them in the custard to serve. They'd be crunchy and could easily be avoided by those who didn't want them. Whipped cream on the side, too.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Crap, I just ate the crust of the pie I made. I just never stopped forking. Back to dancing for a bit.

so... you forked your bottom until it was gone?!?!??!?
    :noway: :noway: :noway:

Snort!! I laughed so hard my kid got out of bed to see what I was doing!
  • sarahwebb81
    Options
    i was just thinking about this today. Why wait for thanksgiving. The canned pumpkin is ok, i could do splenda, egg whites, canned milk, and spices and bake in a ramekin. I think i will do that for tomorrow.
    I will report back with results.
    Just as a side note, i'm already stressing about turk day. I won't be cooking, and will be a guest somewhere, and i don't want to fall too heavily off the wagon. I'm sure it would make me sick if i did.

Aw, don't stress about Thanksgiving! It's supposed to be a fun day filled with loved ones and good times. (But believe me, i totally understand. i do the same thing.)

I think you should be able to have a pretty reasonable meal on the big day. Turkey is pretty good for you, especially white meat. Most dinners have more than one vegetable, so you could load your plate up with turkey and veggies and just have a small serving of potatoes and/or stuffing. And go ahead and have dessert, just limit it to one. You still might eat more than you would in a normal day, but it's a special occasion and a celebration. Just don't go crazy. And my advice is to TURN DOWN LEFTOVERS. (except maybe turkey and veggies). Leftovers in the fridge will just tempt you to turn your one-day splurge into a week-long ordeal.

Just my thoughts. :)