Thinking about joining a gym...

Options
but I'm wondering is it really worth it?
It's not a 24hr gym. Hardly from it actually...
It will be $60 a month for both me and my husband a month and finances are a little tight (will be even tighter in the coming months).
We own a treadmill...but that's it.

How many of you own a gym membership and actually use it?

Replies

• lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have been going to a gym since the first of July. I go six days a week and I love it. I did Curves 5 to 6 days a week prior to joining the gym, but had really gotten burned out on it. If you are paying for a membership you tend to use it more than you would use anything at home. Whichever you decide, best of luck on your healthy lifestyle!!!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I use it 4-5 times a week. A few things you should consider - is it on your path to-from work? If it's in an inconvenient location, then forget it. Also, if it's not 24 hours, is it open at the times you'd most likely use it? Are you joining for a year? Most gyms give a 1 week trial membership for free. Get one on a week where you'll be able to go at least 4 times. You'll know at that point if you like the atmosphere and the convenience of it. xo
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    gyms are great, but some of the big ones put you in contracts that you are stuck with for years whether you use them or not.

If I were you I'd do body weight excercises and take 60 bucks a month and slowly build a home gym.

Start out buy buying free weights, and just put 60 bucks in a jar everymonth until you can buy all the equipment you need.

But gyms also do have a lot of helpful attributes such as classes and such that can hold you accountable and can provide motivation.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Just be ready to spend 60 bucks a month for the next year-2 years! whether or not you go!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    LOVE the gym!!!!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my gym!!!! Being in Washington with maybe 2 months a year without rain, it's ESSENTIAL! I go from 6-7 days a weeks so I definitely use mine to it's fullest potential. I love that everyone at the front desk knows me by name and so do all of the trainers and manager. It makes it a lot easier to go in when it feels like a second home.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    my wife and I go to Anytime Fitness and she goes about 4-5 days a week and I go around 3-4 days a week, when you use it, its worth it.
  • ginurse_amy
    Options
    I joined my local rec center and pay $25 a month for me only. It's real small and private and only has treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and weight machines and free weights. No pools or anything. I really like it and I go pretty much every other night. I do an hour on the ellipitical and then sit ups and then the weight machines. It's what I call me therapy if I've had a long hard day at work then I go there and it's great stress relief. They have a few classes as well but I just stick to my own thing. I love it and will continue going.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    own it and use it everyday :) Totally worth it in my opinion. $60 for 2 of you sound pretty reasonable. I pay $50 a month just for me add another 30 a month for their childcare...lol If it's something you don't think you will use make sure you don't sign a contract. See if they will let you do it from month to month.. I think it will be something fun for you and your husband. You can set daily challanges for eachother :)
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    gyms are great, but some of the big ones put you in contracts that you are stuck with for years whether you use them or not.

If I were you I'd do body weight excercises and take 60 bucks a month and slowly build a home gym.

Start out buy buying free weights, and just put 60 bucks in a jar everymonth until you can buy all the equipment you need.

But gyms also do have a lot of helpful attributes such as classes and such that can hold you accountable and can provide motivation.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Just be ready to spend 60 bucks a month for the next year-2 years! whether or not you go!

I go to 24hour Fitness and it's month by month, no long term contract so they aren't all like that.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you're a student. Is there a gym at your college/university that you might have access to? They might charge, but I could almost guarantee it'd be less than the $60/month you're talking about.
  • boobookittyx
    Options
    mines open 24 hours and about $30 a month and not on a contract!! I go everyday. I don't own any exercise machines tho lol. But they offer soo many different kind of cardio and weight machines it's fun to use different ones everyday. If your commited to go at least 4-5 days a week it's worth it!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym 3 times per week minimum...usually 4 to 5 times per week. I think having a gym membership has been a key part in my weight loss. I enjoy the classes (I take Zumba) and have enjoyed being around like minded people. It has really been a boost to my confidence.

I have had a gym membership in the past, but I did not utilize it. I think your answer will mostly depend on how committed you are to using the gym. Maybe find a place with a trial membership so you could see if it is something you would enjoy?
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I love my gym too!! I got a great deal through my work at the gym I go to. $10 a month!! I go 4-6 times a week. It is a new facility so all the equipment is new.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. I go 6 days a week. :love:
  • oochi3
    Options
    funny , yesterday i stopped at the ymca to get prices and you are right the prices are outrages for most gyms. I realized after much thought that i am better off trying difrent ways to exersize, youtube has great zumba fitness routines you can do, if you have a wii theres just dance, zumba fitness , pilates, even yoga games. I have also tryed walking around the park, enjoying the nice scenic areas, even cleaning house and yardwork helps. I had a membership last year and to be honest i only used it maybe 2 times a week, i always felt uncomfertable cause there were always people there and im a shy person when it comes 2 working out i prefer to not be watched the whole time so i really didnt use it much. So yesterday i almost signed up at the y, but then thought hmm 90 $ to register and 68$ monthly and i only use it 2 times a week.. to me it wasnt worth it specially since we r on a limited income. But if u think ull be using it way more then it would be good for u, for now im sticking to zumba on youtube, and wii fitness games its actually alot of fun cardio ! :) good luck on what ever choices u make, any exersize is good with or with out the gym.
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My friend dragged me to the gym kicking and screaming about a year ago. I hated the idea of it! But from day 1 I was hooked. I had been working out at home for about a year prior, and I found the gym really motivated me to give every workout my all. At home I was easily distracted by phonecalls, kids, or other things I should be doing. I go 3- 5 days a week now, and I still love it!
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of 24 for almost 6 years and I love it. I started off by buying a 3 year membership which was a huge chuck cash but after calculating it, I saved a pretty penny too. After that my 3 year membership expired, I renewed it for a year for $40. Also, if you go to 24, you can go to costco and they have memberships there too.

I'm a total gym rat. I go 6-7 times a week. It's difficult at times getting to the cardio machines that you would like so I try not to go during the peak times which is 5-8.

Only get a membership if you're going to use it! I know people who have memberships and never go... Don't let it be a waste of $60 a month!
  • edmondskm
    Options
    In regards to some posts...
    We have an apartment...so space is limited to start our own gym.
    It's on the way to school (in which only I go and it's from M-Th) and it's not that far from home, maybe less than a mile.
    It has pretty much everything and anything you might want in a gym.
    Maybe in the event that finances get less crazy...in the mean time I'll just stick with my treadmill and pilates.
  • edmondskm
    Options
    I do have a Wii and have a lot of the dancing games available including Zumba.
    I also watch pop pilates on youtube.
    I think I may just stick with that for right now. I've lost almost 15 with just that and all the walking at work...so what I seem to be doing is working. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I love my gym...lately i've been going a lot, but that's because i'm stressed out...but i try and go at least 3 times a week. I pay $39/month but i get half of it back from my work benefits. my gym is huge too, tons of equipment, pools, 3 ice rinks, etc..plus i love how they have tv's on their cardio machines lol...i'm no skinny minny wearing tight yoga pants and a sports bra either...I wear my fiance's 2x t-shirts and over sized joggers