Menopause belly fat - HELP ME PLEASE

Options
Anyone suffering with menopause belly? I'm full menopause. I am on a estradiol patch and estrogen insert. I have struggled with my weight for the past 5 years. I have started at the gym and now at my 65 day mark and have only lost 4 pounds. Feeling very discouraged!

I joined the gym and do Zumba 4-5 days a week and strength training about 2 times a week on average.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you average for each day after you adjust for exercise?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    1) You’ve lost 4 pounds. That’s decent news.
    2) If you weren’t working out prior to 65 days ago, much of your fat loss is likely masked by muscle gain. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. Have you been tracking other metrics like your waist size, or how a piece of clothing fits you?
    3) Our bodies do change as we grow older.
    Keep going to the gym. You will get as fit as you are able to.
    4) But do keep in mind that you can’t lose fat in one area only. You can tone your muscles. But the fat will come off wherever your body decides to lose it. Don’t let that discourage you.

• pawsrbabies239
    pawsrbabies239 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I lost 85 pounds, gain 25 back, got back on track. I am 5’2” & 57 years old & 1500 calories a day, walking 20 - 30 minutes a day & not an ounce. So discouraged. I’m thinking it’s an age thing as I’ve always been able to loose.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have the meni-pot (I am post-menopause). It's so depressing. I've lost 12 pounds but most of it has come off my chest.

I used to have a great hourglass figure. Don't know if I'm ever going to see my abs again, even if I continue to lose. :(
  • nannykely
    nannykely Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Same post menopause and started gaining weight in my middle area.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 326 Member
    edited June 25
    Options
    I feel your pain, I lost 85 pounds, gain 25 back, got back on track. I am 5’2” & 57 years old & 1500 calories a day, walking 20 - 30 minutes a day & not an ounce. So discouraged. I’m thinking it’s an age thing as I’ve always been able to loose.

Are you tracking your food intake here? How long have you been trying to lose? How much do you weigh currently?

I've been able to lose a pound a week eating 1400-1500 calories and walking for a half hour every day. I also walk to and from my bus stop, which is 15 minutes each way. I've lost 12 pounds so far. I track everything on MFP.

I'm 61.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You need to be in a calorie deficit each day or for the week if that is a better approach for you. Exercise is great but often the calories you burn are overestimated. So eat back those calories with that in mind( I ate back only half of my estimated exercise calories during weight loss). I lost 25 pounds in perimenopause/early menopause and my belly fat came off with overall fat loss. I used a digital food scale and weighed and logged everything. In my opinion weight loss is mostly about food and much smaller proportion exercise.
  • lavetteowens67
    lavetteowens67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »

Are you tracking your food intake here? How long have you been trying to lose? How much do you weigh currently?

I've been able to lose a pound a week eating 1400-1500 calories and walking for a half hour every day. I also walk to and from my bus stop, which is 15 minutes each way. I've lost 12 pounds so far. I track everything on MFP.

I'm 61.

I just started logging my food this week. Per my weight and height my calorie deficit is 2000 calories. I do Zumba 4-5 days a week and that's generally a 500 calorie burn...I also do walk...I typically get 10K+ steps in daily.

Praying that tracking my food will be the key to some changes.
  • lavetteowens67
    lavetteowens67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    How many calories do you average for each day after you adjust for exercise?

I just started logging my food 2 days ago. So I will have a better picture in the next couple of weeks.
  • stevensamanda7396
    stevensamanda7396 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am seeing a naturalpath to help me deal with menopause. thru blood work he found many issues where me body was depleted in several hormones and no vitamin d. he got me straight and this has helped immensely. not only with hormones but weight, energy, thought process, and processing situations. now I'm trying to stay strong 💪 and think about what goes in my mouth before I eat, trying to stay consistent with a plan and not lose muscle or bone mass.
    second opinions and views in the medical are always an option.
    food for thought here. stay strong and look at your options.