High Protein Diet makes me so sick/nauseous

Can anyone give me advice? My doctor told me I was not getting enough protein and he wanted me to try to have 125 grams per day. I have met my goal the last few days but I am struggling. I am finding that to be extremely difficult, I feel so sick nearly all of the time.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    carla15317 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me advice? My doctor told me I was not getting enough protein and he wanted me to try to have 125 grams per day. I have met my goal the last few days but I am struggling. I am finding that to be extremely difficult, I feel so sick nearly all of the time.

Hi , Carla. Welcome to the boards.

Why is your doctor prescribing you high amounts of protein? Stands to reason you should ask him, explain the nausea, and see if he has any suggestions to corral it.

What kind of protein are you eating? How anre you eating it? Are you spacing it out throughout the day?

I vividly remember when I first started, absolutely loving “One” bar protein bars. They were very sweet and chewy, so were really appealing to me. I bought several boxes so I’d have an assortment to choose from. I was so excited I’d found “protein” that fit my new “diet”.

Within maybe three days I was having severe stomach aches and gastric problems. I stopped eating the One bars. Problem solved. It was that easy.

I eat very high protein, much higher than you’ve been told. I space it out with large amounts for main meals, and schedule regular snacks that are protein rich but in smaller amounts. I also make it a point to have different kinds of protein. I might make pancakes with batter that includes cottage cheese, eggs, liquid whey and powdered whey. Very high protein but the types of protein are balanced out.

Lunch might be a pan seared chicken breast and cheese on a keto type bread. All three ingredients have an element of protein. Or chopped leftover grilled steak in a low carb wrap. Even the wrap has two or three grams protein. It adds up.

Snacks could be cottage cheese with fruit, a high protein homade yogurt “cheesecake”, beef jerky, dried edamame, or a delicious low cal homemade ice cream made of skyr or yogurt. I’m also a huge fan of Nugo protein bars. They are outstanding, about 200 calories apiece. No artifical sweeteners.

I do use artificial sweeteners, especially zero cal syrups and salad dressings, sugar free jello pudding. But I make sure they don’t contain the ingredient that causes the stomach pain a few years back. I think they’ve removed it since then, but ugh, just the memory…..

Dinners run the gamut. Last night was baked pecan chicken, tonight was meatloaf and potatoes mashed with light half and half (protein in the H&H, natch.)

Beans beans beans- always good, but can trigger distress in large quantities.

Protein is everywhere. I bet you’re already eating most this stuff- and have been for ages.

Sit down and look at your food diary. What did you do different that triggered the problem?

It may take you a few days, heck, even a few weeks to get sorted out. It took me about a month to start rolling.

But this needs to be a lifetime change- just changing temporarily and changing back is t a solution to anything.

I am also listening to a fairly new podcast, which is excellent. Coincidentally, the episode I’m on right now features a woman who had to relearn to eat to stabilize and rebuild her health. She takes a while to get cranked but by mid episode she is simply amazing at sharing what’s worked for her.

The podcast is Piece of Cake, episode 3

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4FPcr4kTBTJdZbnWb4o90j?si=BqAPUi2SR_-P5QcIFfs_hA

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Another thing- many people, me included, find protein very satiating. If you’re eating heaps of it at once, you may be filling extra full and that may be the source of the nausea- a feeling of extreme fullness.

Another reason to space it out during the day.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,108 Member
    Depending on your stats that's probably too high. Many so called "experts" call for x amount of calories based on bodyweight however overweight people need to use their leaner target weight and not their current, heavier weight
    What is your height and weight?
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 495 Member
    Maybe ask for a referral to a registered dietician.
    My own Dr will make general best-practices diet recommendations, but refers patients to an RD if they really need to get into the details of exactly how to make a chosen diet do what its supposed to do.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,480 Member
    I doubt if your Doctor really had 0 to 60 in 8 seconds or less in mind.
    Ease off for a few days, experiment with the idea of raising your protein a little until you find a spot you and your Doctor can both live with.
    Are you using mostly shakes? try bars, jerky, tofu, meat, lean cheese, beans.
    In other words, spread out the sources.
    Are you trying to Add protein without Subtracting something else? Maybe your tummy is just overly full.
    Did you start an exercise plan at the same time you started pushing protein? That may be contributing.
    Or did you just start or change a medication or supplement?
    I hope you figure it out.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,900 Member
    This thread lists a huge variety of protein sources. If one source doesn't work for you, whether for digestive issues, affordability, allergies, taste or other preferences (vegan, etc) then you can easily choose another.

Something I discovered when I increased my protein intake was a need to also increase my fiber intake to help the body digest the protein. The same thread above includes suggestions for fiber intake.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    It's a mystery, maybe pick out a better quality tomato sauce, it makes protein taste better imo. :#
  • lajesq2669
    lajesq2669 Posts: 5 Member
    125 g seems like a lot. Did your doctor specify whether the proteins should be exclusively high quality (from animals)? Did your doctor assume you would be eating a mix of high quality and low (from plants) quality proteins? Maybe try getting your protein from animal sources. The fats that come along with proteins help the body digest the proteins.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    What symptoms? Just digestive, or something else?

I'd endorse phasing in the protein increase gradually, and considering whether you might have a sensitivity to one of your currently-chosen protein sources (or an ingredient that comes with them, as was mentioned up there with some protein bars). Dairy, gluten, eggs, seafood/shellfish or nuts are probably the most common allergens/sensitivities among common protein sources.

I agree that if you're an average-sized woman, 125g may be more than essential, but I don't know whether your doctor is evaluating your needs differently because of some health issue (malabsorption or something else). That amount shouldn't be crazy-high or inherently cause problems, unless there's some complicating factor involved.