Leg Press Fail

Options
IzzieDizzie93
IzzieDizzie93 Posts: 17 Member
edited June 28 in Fitness and Exercise
So today I decided to follow a programme that my PT gave... one of those was the leg press, now without weights it was fine I could lock it back up when I was done... the issue was as soon as i put a heavier weight I couldn't lift the machine higher enough to lock it when I was done 😭 (the weight was still super light to me, I was just too short to lift it high enough!) someone had to help me!

I'm embarrassed for sure and just asked my PT if we could stick to free weights as clearly I'm too short for the machine stuff 😂.

This is only my 2nd time properly at the gym, and I already told him I was going to use the squat rack instead of the squat machine because that was sketchy for me when I trained it with him.

Can you still get a good leg workout with just free weights?

Ended up doing squats, Bulgarian split squats with dumbells, the attempt at the leg press and then the stairmaster... need to adjust the programme though.
Any good exercises for the glutes and hamstrings ? (Which aren't just RDLS)

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,847 Member
    Options
    Many lifters feel you get a BETTER leg workout using only free weights than if you use machines. Lifting free weights engages stabilizer muscles which may not get used by machines which provide all the stabilizing for you.

A great exercise for glutes/hamstrings is the hip thrust. This can be done with DB's, BB's, even kettlebells. The basic position is lying prone with knees bent and feet planted on the ground. Your upper body can be positioned on the ground or raised up a little bit (no higher than your knee), by a step or a bench. The weight goes on/across your hips, which act like a pivot point. Action involves bending your hip to lower the weight, raising your hips up until your torso and thighs are in a straight line.

Another favorite of mine is the step-up. This involves either holding weights in hand or a BB across the shoulders, stand before a step, then just step up. You can either do all reps on one leg before doing the other, or alternate legs. Making the exercise harder can be done through either using a heavier weight or by increasing the height of the step.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,599 Member
    edited June 29
    Options
    Hip thrust is much easier with barbell, surely. RDL is better imo, since the hamstrings are being loaded while stretched, which is not the case with the hip thrust.

Reverse lunges with db's are good, and will target the posterior chain and also the quads.

Goblet squat with a db is great for beginners.

With machines, there's the leg extension and hamstring curl (seated is better for muscle growth than lying). The free weight exercises we're talking about are superior to the leg extension imo.

The hack squat machine is good too, though you may have the same height issue as the leg press.

And the barbell squat is S-tier. If you can do that and like it, keep doing it.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as a fellow shortie here, stick the exercises / machines you can do safely by yourself!

And tall peeps, stop leaving the cable machine handle so high up! 🤣 (had to get a PT to lower it for me at a commercial gym a week ago 🤣)
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    And tall peeps, stop leaving the cable machine handle so high up! 🤣 (had to get a PT to lower it for me at a commercial gym a week ago 🤣)
    You must be this tall to enter this ride.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    So with my shorter clients, I just put some yoga blocks and a mat behind them to help extend their length. Are you sure you're on the lower setting lock for the leg press? Also, sometimes you can just set the safety stop near the bottom of your lift and start the lift from there as last resort.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    You must be this tall to enter this ride.

🤣🤣