Ugh My Knee Hurts What Should I Do About Calories

lisakatz2
lisakatz2 Posts: 507 Member
edited June 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Woke up this morning and my right lateral aspect of my knee hurts like hell. I'm so frustrated. Sometimes the medial aspect hurts, but this time it's lateral and its bad. Don't think I'll be able to go for my walk today. I didn't walk yesterday so I think it's really peculiar that I'm in so much pain. I've been told that just resting it does no good and I think that's right. I didn't go on my walks for one straight week, went back, and after two days my knee pain is rearing its ugly head again.

Thinking of walking in the pool (I'm a lousy swimmer) but I don't think it's going to burn much calories. Should I adjust my calorie intake? I've been eating 1500 calories a day and losing a pound a week. I want to continue that trend.

Also........ice, or heat?

EDIT: Think I better stop being lazy and start strengthening my hips and glutes. I feel like an accident waiting to happen.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    Keep calories the same if that amount has been working
  • lisakatz2
    Even though I've been walking a half hour daily?

I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.
  • supertrooper2018
    supertrooper2018 Posts: 1 Member
    It might be because, depends on how much you weigh and how often you walk, your increased activities. It depends on YOU, AND WHY it hurts. I pushed through that pain stated, and my hips and knees don't hurt anymore. Definitely keep the cal the same, 500 calories deficit. Heat I believe to relax muscle, ice to relieve inflammation

If the pain is from bad form, or from falling etc, then keep walking but walk less. Or go to a Dr if the pain lasts. You could also consider a chiropractor

Swimming is good, it's easy on the joints and good for obese beginners. Just swim and make sure to keep an elevated heart rate of zone 2-3 :)
  • mbinaz2019
    mbinaz2019 Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 29
    Pool walking burns calories because you're getting resistance from the water.
    If you want to exercise without leaving the house, check Youtube videos for seated exercises - there are dozens of them. You can burn calories and tone muscles without walking.
    Everything I've read states that weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise/movement. 1/2 hour of walking doesn't burn a lot of calories, unless you're walking fast or walking hills.
    https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-calories-burned-per-minute-3887138
  • lisakatz2
    Wow, not much burn for what seems a lot of effort. :(
  • mbinaz2019
    mbinaz2019 Posts: 26 Member
    Walking is still good exercise, it gets you moving, works your legs, and is aerobic, so it helps your heart. Many people can't do strenuous exercise, so anything is good. I'm 72 and try to do 30 minutes of low impact cardio, mostly walking based workouts a few times a week. I also do resistance retraining to strengthen muscles.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    Wow, not much burn for what seems a lot of effort. :(

Well, it makes sense. We're a bipedal species. We walk on two legs, and we're adapted to it. Something that defines up as a species doesn't burn a lot of calories. If walking on two legs was exceptionally difficult we might not have adapted to walking on two legs. (and yeah, reaching food sources higher up, and all that)
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 398 Member
    From someone who has experienced a lot of injuries over the past few years while trying to get fit, your body is trying to tell you that particular body part needs rest.

There are hurt foot and hurt leg workout videos on YouTube. Just do a search with those key words and several options will come up. You could also search seated cardio for raising your heart rate without walking or standing. With those workouts you will be able to meet your exercise goals without injuring yourself further.
  • lisakatz2
    FibroHiker wrote: »
    From someone who has experienced a lot of injuries over the past few years while trying to get fit, your body is trying to tell you that particular body part needs rest.

There are hurt foot and hurt leg workout videos on YouTube. Just do a search with those key words and several options will come up. You could also search seated cardio for raising your heart rate without walking or standing. With those workouts you will be able to meet your exercise goals without injuring yourself further.

Thank you Fibrohiker. My knee feels worse than ever, and I haven't even been doing my usual (dry land) walking routine. I agree with you. It's been very hot here lately and is going to remain in the 90's all week long, perfect for pool walking. The cool water seems to make my knee feel better too.

I'm sure I can get some good ideas from YouTube as well.

I think "pushing through the pain" is a bad idea.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    Get in that pool chica! It’s fun, it’s easy on joints, and it’ll burn a lot more than you think.

Plus, it’s the summer… it feels great. 😊
  • lisakatz2
    Went pool walking/swimming yesterday, you are absolutely right! Feels great. I did a combo because I'm so out of shape I can only swim halfway across the pool. Work in progress!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 8
    I've had a knee condition since 2009; possibly part of why it's been so long is never adequately letting it rest, so learn from my mistakes :wink:

Do get a proper diagnosis and treatment. And if you need to lose weight, don't be offended when doctors say doing so will help your knee - it's just a medical fact.

One of the exercises I do is swim. Because of the distance I swim, it's easier on my knees to use flippers. I have short ones for the pool and use longer ones in open water.

Here are my pool fins:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BZ49PXN2/