Join my Campaign to get Panera Bread to Reduce Sodium

Options
I love Panera Bread salads, soups, breads. Many of you probably do too. Have you read the nutritional content of their menu items lately. Or better yet, are you tracking your sodium intake on your food journal. If you ARE and you have eaten at Panera you will understand what I am saying.

So 2500 mg is the maximum sodium one should have per day. A meal at Panera of salad, a cup of soup and a piece of multi grain bread is just about that. WHY !!!????!@#%^&*

I went on their web site http://www.paneranutrition.com/NutritionCalculator.aspx you will see that a 1.5 c serving of Low Fat Vegetarian Black Bean Soup has.....DRUM ROLL PLEASE...........1270 mg of sodium. Add a 2 oz piece of multigrain bread and an Asian Grilled Chicken Salad and you have a GRAND TOTAL of 2390mg of sodium for just that meal.

I also looked at the recipes for some of their soups on the same site and see that they are adding 2 tsp of salt to a 4 portion recipe. Can you believe you are getting 1/2 tsp of salt in your cup of soup?

I am asking that if you like Panera (or even if you have never been there but would like to help support the effort) to please go to their website under Contact Us and under Nutritional Info, please make a plea to them to reduce their sodium in their food. It is not necessary to add all that sodium to have food taste good. In fact, it tastes better without it and is so much healthier for you.

Please support the effort............. http://www.panerabread.com/about/contact/index2.php

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    DONE!

:flowerforyou:

*I just got an email that states "We're sorry but we are experiencing a delay due to a higher than usual number of Customer Comments. We appreciate hearing from you and will respond to your inquiry within 5 business days. Well, they may be experiencing a lot more if everyone joins in. LOL
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Done!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Done!
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Boy do I hear you! We get Panera Bread sometimes 3 days a week for business lunches. It's a killer on the diet! Even the salads are bad. So much for healthy eating!!:(
  • merez
    Options
    Done! I'll try to remember to let you know if I hear anything.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If you're unhappy about the sodium, just don't eat there. Clearly Panera is doing pretty well for itself with the recipes they are currently using--why would they change them? They put the information out there, it's up to you whether to eat there.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you're unhappy about the sodium, just don't eat there. Clearly Panera is doing pretty well for itself with the recipes they are currently using--why would they change them? They put the information out there, it's up to you whether to eat there.

I think you probably missed the point - 'nuf said
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    DONE!

:flowerforyou:

*I just got an email that states "We're sorry but we are experiencing a delay due to a higher than usual number of Customer Comments. We appreciate hearing from you and will respond to your inquiry within 5 business days. Well, they may be experiencing a lot more if everyone joins in. LOL

So did I....guess they will be busy in their mailbox tomorrow!