Cardio Vs Lifting Weights

Options
Can you have one without the other and still see amazing results?
Thoughts?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose just 1 I'd choose lifting - I think you can look great and see amazing results on lifting alone "as long as" your diet is in check.
    You can still see amazing results with just cardio if you have alot of weight to lose, to me that's an amazing result for sure! but as a final goal, a body with no or very little definition is not something I would want.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hm... no and yes.
    JUST cardio would be the worse.
    With weight lifting, it's possible to incorperate cardio via high intensity interval training.
    Bodyweight workouts (such as calisthenics and plyometrics, gymnastic, and the like) are also very effective strength-and-cardio combinations.

Last year I lost weight and got fantastic body composition by doing 10 minutes calisthenics and 30 minutes of slow weight lifting almost every day (about 5-6 days a week). However, I was very active anyway. I walked a lot between classes, to the store, etc. and would take yoga occasionally as well. But I never took time to specifically do cardio.
    However, much of my results also came from eating almost no carbs and lots of veggies every day. My 'treat' at the end of the day was a glass of soy milk, and I never ate anything after dinner.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds in 2004/2005 and did it with only cardio. It took me a year to lose it. This time around I am doing cardio and weights and I am seeing way better results and faster.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is what my health coach told me:

Cardio does not build muscle or increase your metabolic rate. Cardio is important to maintain a healthy heart and to burn fat. Weight training is what creates firm tone muscle and speeds up the metabolism. More muscle leads to firmness instead of flabbiness; gives you a greater capacity to burn fat while doing cardio; because muscle uses the fat as fuel; and with more muscle, more fat is burned; and lastly with more muscle on your body more calories will be burned (increased resting metabolic rate).
    I suggest replacing 3 days of weight training to your already existing workout routine. So continue cardio 4 days a week and add 3 days of weight training.

Her advice helped me break my last plateau - so there has to be something to it!
  • siabevis
    Options
    Love the responses! I truly believe they compliment each other :)