Mental health/meds and losing weight

I've been battling mental health for years now, gaining weight doesn't help! Getting pregnant 5 times, having 4 babies, going from a size 3 to a size 12 has really made my confidence and self image horrible.

Now add mental health meds that are known for adding weight.

Let's talk about this and how we can overcome this!

Replies

• HopeFreedom
    HopeFreedom Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Kelli,

Mental health (and the meds) are 2 of my barriers too. I feel much steadier on the medication so it's not an option to come off them for now. When I take them in the evening, though, I feel stoned and can eat 1000s of calories in a blur.. it really is like getting the munchies.

I'm single mum to 1 little boy so making time and stress are 2 other factors.

I'm trying to figure out what else I can do in the evening for me time when he is asleep instead of eating myself into a stupor. I eat fine during the day and can manage that well.

I do listen to podcast and audio books or try to watch something funny. I'm starting to practice dismissing the urge, distracting myself for 10mins with something fun and reminding myself that the craving will pass or telling myself that I can eat it tomorrow.

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 507 Member
    I'm on a slew of mental health meds. I gained weight when I started Abilify but am now losing.

I work in the mental health field and am aware of many clients who gained on antipsychotics like Zyprexa, Seroquel, Risperdal. I am also aware of some that have lost weight while on them. You have to be mindful of what you eat and don't give in to cravings. I keep a lot of chopped up vegetables around the house and often have a big salad with a tablespoon of dressing when I get the munchies. I also walk daily, at least a half hour. I keep my calories around 1500.