help me with a weekend trip

Options
Headed out for a 3 day weekend trip where I will be in a hotel room. I know we will have to eat meals out. Do you have advice on what the best way to deal with this. I know its "make the best choice possible" but I wonder if you have a restuarant in mind that has a great low cal option. Where we are going they pretty much have all the chain restaurants. thanks

Replies

• uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has a low cal option's in their menu's and you can always ask for half orders on things or share with whoever you're going with. Restaurants seem pretty cool about things like that lately. Good luck. And have fun.
  • cschnepf
    Options
    I would say plan your meals now. Google the restaurants around the hotel, download the nutrition info from their websites, and figure out what your going to eat.

Personally, I found that what I would have guessed was the healthy option, isn't always the case once I get a hold of their nutritional info PDFs.
  • catclws
    Options
    most of the restaurants have weight watchers low calorie meals, Applebees is one of them. You can call ahead or do what I do, go on the internet and pull up the restaurants menu. I make my menu choice before I arrive, that way I'm not tempted by their specials.
  • Mr8656
    Options
    I just charted a lunch I had at Olive Garden. I had Minestrone Soup, Crusted Talapia, Angel Hair Pasta and a Breadstick with Ice Tea. Taking into consideration I'm dieting, so I didn't eat the entire portion of any one dish, but enough to satisfy my cravings, total 435 calories. Also checking out websites I've found to be very helpful. Know where you're going to be dining and having an idea planned out what you will order and sticking to your diet, I'm sure you will do fine and still enjoy yourself.
  • karismatique
    Options
    Hi Sandy,

You are absolutely right about of those high caloric meals served at restaurants. Most restaurants offer servings that are good for 2-3 persons, so I recommend you share a plate with one of your family members or friend. There is a growing number of fast chain restaurants that are now displaying the calorie content of their dishes and this should help you keep your daily intake goal on check. So maybe instead of having the "Big breakfast with Large biscuit Hotcakes and Syrup" at 1370 Calories>> you may want to opt for the " Egg Muffin with Hashbrowns' at only 450 calories. I know ...I know.... been there at it is pretty hard to keep the calorie math at the end of your exiting vacation day. So this is what I do: I Always refuse cheese, go for grilled over fried, choose water over soda, prefer wheat bread, choose mustard instead of mayonnaise, and ask for a low fat dressing on **the side**.
    Well hope my tips help you stay on the healthy side *as much as possible*. I wish you a wonderful vacation.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggetions! This helps to plan ahead.