Weight Loss and Future Pregnancy

Options
I have a three your old daughter and my Husband wants to have another one as soon as possible... I am of course currently on my weight lose journey so I dont know what to do??

Should i get to my goal weight first then get pregnant and stay active and eat healthy during my pregnancy so that I wont gain tooo much weight back???

or

Should i just go ahead and get pregant now and try not to gain too much weight and continue my journey after??? I dont want my kids to be too far apart and i already think I waited tooo long.... IM SOOO CONFUSED :)

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You are only 22 and have plenty of time to have more kids. I didn't have my first until I was 30. I would work on getting healthy first.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    just TTC while losing a healthy amount of weight, and once you find out you're pregnant, aim to maintain....if you gain a healthy amount of weight 25-35 lbs. on healthy food, it will come right off, especially if you BF!!!!

I got pregnant at 184 lbs. (the heaviest I have EVER been)

gained 25 lbs. while pregnant

at my 6 week check-up, I weighed 172

:)

Hope that helps!!!!
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am kinda in a simillar situation except my hunny isn't pushing for me to have another baby but I think I want one more!! We have 2 already and our youngest is 2 so if I am going to have another one I would want to have one within the next 2 years so they are not so far apart as well. I would want to get to my goal first and then get pregnant and stay active and healthy and try not to gain too much weight. You have a better chance of losing the weight afterwards easier since your active and healthy during your pregnancy. I need to lose another 53pds and I see you have 64 to go which is totally do able in around a year or less (healthy) so then your kids wouldn't be too far apart!! I would wait but that's just me :bigsmile: Good luck which ever you decide!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am kinda in a simillar situation except my hunny isn't pushing for me to have another baby but I think I want one more!! We have 2 already and our youngest is 2 so if I am going to have another one I would want to have one within the next 2 years so they are not so far apart as well. I would want to get to my goal first and then get pregnant and stay active and healthy and try not to gain too much weight. You have a better chance of losing the weight afterwards easier since your active and healthy during your pregnancy. I need to lose another 53pds and I see you have 64 to go which is totally do able in around a year or less (healthy) so then your kids wouldn't be too far apart!! I would wait but that's just me :bigsmile: Good luck which ever you decide!

Shanna this is great advice,
    I totally agree! Hopefully your husband will understand that it will make a healthier mom and baby in the long run by waiting until you get in shape and lose the extra weight and since you will already be in shape and on an exercise routine more than likely you can continue through pregnancy and bounce back afterwards so you wont be in the same predicament after baby #2, I wish I wouldve done this when I had my kids (no more for me)
  • AniyahsMommy324
    AniyahsMommy324 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We're in pretty much the exact same situation! I started my weight loss at 213 and now my boyfriend and I decided we want another baby. We have a 6 month old daughter now. We decided that I'll continue to lose weight until I'm around 190 and then get pregnant. I'm 208 right now. I'm hoping to hit 190 in the next 2 months.

Maybe just lose another 10 pounds or so and then try to get pregnant? And just stay as active as possible during your pregnancy! My mistake the 1st time is I wasn't that active!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely still have a healthy baby if you are overweight although as you say, it would be best not to gain too much weight during the pregnancy.

I can't think of anything I would consider more unhealthy than giving up your dreams for your weight (if as you say, having your children close together is important to you). Obviously just my opinion, this is quite an important decision for you to make. Best of luck with it!
  • shrinkinglily
    Options
    This is something I am considering too! I think for me, as long as I have been exercising regularly for a handful of months and I am feeling strong and healthy, we will go for it. I want to have a more active pregnancy this time. And I will not have an eating free-for-all again!
  • ravennamama
    ravennamama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, you are only 22 and have AT LEAST 10 years of healthy baby having time ahead of you. But what you won't have is a healthy future with your kids if you don't get your weight down. I believe it is more important for your kids to have a healthy mom than to worry about how far apart your kids are "spaced".
    So go ahead and continue your journey, lose the excess weight. Then when you do get pregnant again try to not get carried away with the Ben and Jerry's and stick to the leafy greens and grains...Good Luck!
  • mlal78
    Options
    Coming from one who has trouble getting pg.....I would keep up with your weightloss while ttc, and stay active and keep up good eating habits while pregnant. What happens if you wait until you are at your perfect weight and then it takes 2+ years to conceive? Then your kids are much further apart than you would have liked.
  • youuluvashh
    youuluvashh Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Coming from one who has trouble getting pg.....I would keep up with your weightloss while ttc, and stay active and keep up good eating habits while pregnant. What happens if you wait until you are at your perfect weight and then it takes 2+ years to conceive? Then your kids are much further apart than you would have liked.

This is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of!!
  • youuluvashh
    Options
    You can absolutely still have a healthy baby if you are overweight although as you say, it would be best not to gain too much weight during the pregnancy.

I can't think of anything I would consider more unhealthy than giving up your dreams for your weight (if as you say, having your children close together is important to you). Obviously just my opinion, this is quite an important decision for you to make. Best of luck with it!

So True..... If i let my weight get in the way and end up waiting another 3-5 years then ill really be un-happy!!.. DECISIONS, DECISIONS!!!
  • youuluvashh
    Options
    We're in pretty much the exact same situation! I started my weight loss at 213 and now my boyfriend and I decided we want another baby. We have a 6 month old daughter now. We decided that I'll continue to lose weight until I'm around 190 and then get pregnant. I'm 208 right now. I'm hoping to hit 190 in the next 2 months.

Maybe just lose another 10 pounds or so and then try to get pregnant? And just stay as active as possible during your pregnancy! My mistake the 1st time is I wasn't that active!

Omg were the same age and everything...its good to know im not alone in this dilemma :)

We want to start in december, so that we can try to have another January/February baby.... Your right and my goal is to be 180 by December so maybe by then ill be a little more comfortable with my weight and eating habits and my pregnancy wont be an issue... I will definitely stay active this pregnancy because I made that mistake too!! I am so gonna to mention this idea to my husband!