Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Quick and easy Salad

dannytrees1
dannytrees1 Posts: 271 Member
Hi all.
This is my first week back, and it’s going well so far.
I want to start eating salads.
I’m going shopping in the morning, what do I need to pick up for my new salad adventure
Thanks

Replies

• deskduckie
    deskduckie Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not sure of what kind of dietary goals/restrictions you have, so I hope this isn't too vague. I think the key to a good salad is variety. A big bowl of greens gets boring fast, so when I make a salad I try to include at least two other vegetables, some kind of protein (meat, beans, tuna), and a sprinkle of seeds or nuts. Sometimes I like to add a cooked grain, some fruit, or cheese. IMO, homemade dressing is always better than store bought, and allows you to substitute ingredients to meet your caloric/nutritional goals.

My current favorite salad has fresh spinach, red onion, roasted sweet potato chunks, crumbled goat cheese, leftover rotisserie chicken, sunflower seeds, and homemade pomegranate vinaigrette.
  • dannytrees1
    Im trying to make it fast and simple
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Lettuce
    Green Onion

What else can I add
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 7
    Other veggies - radishes, carrots, celery, spinach, snap peas, peppers

Seeds or nuts

Protein like grilled chicken or leftover steak. Grill leftovers and store in the freezer.

Fruit -

A couple fav's: strawberry - spinach with toasted pecans & balsamic or poppyseed dressing. Orange sections, snap peas, romaine, slivered almonds and sesame ginger dressing.
  • dannytrees1
    Thanks for the tips
    I picked up some veggies and beans and chic peas today.
    Planning to have one salad a day this month to see if it will take a few pounds off.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    Loves me a buffalo chicken salad as an entree. Adding a protein makes a salad filling, so I'd add eggs, lean beef, feta and panela, chick peas and other beans whenever possible.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    Salad kits. Open bag. Empty into bowl. Stir in dressing and toppings. Top with protein.

Takes approximately 7 minutes depending on how long the protein takes in the microwave.

I have these twice a week or so.
  • dannytrees1
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Salad kits. Open bag. Empty into bowl. Stir in dressing and toppings. Top with protein.

Takes approximately 7 minutes depending on how long the protein takes in the microwave.

Thanks… I did happen to pick up 1 of theses salad bags… the ceaser…
    Good easy tip to add some protein

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »

Thanks… I did happen to pick up 1 of theses salad bags… the ceaser…
    Good easy tip to add some protein

I keep frozen roasted chicken on hand. It comes diced and ready to go after a minute or three in the microwave. Pre-cooked shrimp take just a few minutes to defrost under hot water. Frozen meatballs or sliced beef are pretty quick too. I'm not really a "cooking" type of person, so I've found a lot of shortcuts over the years.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    nhx8jozeuzma.png

Put this on greens, carrots, and cherry tomatoes. It's the style served in Japanese steakhouses.
    Its kept in grocery stores refrigerated with the produce, usually near packaged cut fruit
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 272 Member
    My most favourite salad that I could eat every day would be:

Spring mix
    Cucumber
    Apple
    Red cabbage
    Carrot
    Celery
    Pan seared halloumi
    Chicken breast (I grill it usually with spices)
    Thyme
    Homemade balsamic dressing
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,265 Member
    I’m obsessed with red leaf lettuce.

Current fav; shredded red leaf, cucumber, diced scallions, diced dragonfruit and fish of choice in chunks. Bluefish or striped bass goes nice. I do evoo and vinegar with herbs and sea salt on top.
  • risesndshinetngirl
    risesndshinetngirl Posts: 1 Member
    I use salad in a bag. Already washed and cut. I add pre cut radishes, mushrooms, carrot shreds, cherry tomatoes and small amount of black olives. For a “dressing” I buy cucumber dill dip made from Greek yogurt. I don’t smother my salad! lol I dip my fork into it then grab a fork of salad. It’s great with what I call a chicken waffle. It’s canned or pulled chicken in the baby waffle maker made into a waffle. Just that. My go to on weekends especially when everyone is doing hotdogs and fries.
  • FeatheredEmpress
    FeatheredEmpress Posts: 5 Member
    If you're up to prepping a bit in advance I like to cook up about 200G of chickpeas (you can also use canned if you don't fancy cooking them from raw), season and keep in the fridge. I chuck those on top of my salads for protein.

Also cottage cheese is excellent and super quick.

Favourite dressing is a drizzle of a balsamic reduction, it's thicker and sweeter than vinegar and so good!
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 175 Member
    This is a recent discovery I would eat every day if could - from a waffle house:htmjc9lyjybn.jpeg

and my homemade version, with the key ingredients, and then assembled: 25vmhzm0p4q6.jpeg
    av4iubnji4e9.jpeg
    Hubby doesn’t love it like I do :(

A Caesar salad (kit or homemade) plus some crispy chicken is a quick and easy favourite of mine too!

Do watch the calories in the dressings, mind… there can be lots of sugar and/or fats in many of the commercial brands.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    My favorite toppings (not all at once usually):
    Grilled chicken
    Hardboiled eggs
    Pickled beets
    Roasted sweet potato
    Feta cheese
    Blue cheese
    Crispy onions
    Grape tomatoes
    Bell Pepper
    Green Onion
  • dannytrees1
    Thanks for all these tips.
    I have been eating salads all week and the pounds are coming off👍
    Yesterday I grilled 4 chicken breast… sliced them up and froze them in individual baggies.
    I’m liking the ready made salads that my grocery store makes up too.
    It’s not really all that hard to make my own as well.
    The salads don’t have to be dull to be quick and easy 👍
  • SafariGalNYC
    @dannytrees1 / I’ve been experimenting with different lettuce and vegetables for salads. I have some purple kale and avocado for tomorrrow.
    ;)
  • dannytrees1
    I’m back … 10 lbs lighter
    Here’s one of my salads
    I need to watch how much dressing I put on them.
    I m also now buying the low calorie dressing.cc5pzxi52ud1.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    Love the kiwi!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 701 Member
    One of my favourites is roasted veg, it requires some prep but once done will happily sit in the fridge for a few days.

Chop up veg to roughly similar size - mine is usually courgette, aubergine, peppers, onions. Butternut squash and sweet potato work well to. Mix up with a bit of oil, salt and pepper, and whatever herb mix you fancy. I like zaa'tar, dukkah, paprika is good with squash/ sweet potato. Roast until nice and brown.

When cool chuck in a box. I have it with cooked grain and a slice of lemon or like squeezed over.

Some alternatives for protein in top- couple of falafel, smoked salmon, slices of frittata.