Running Advice/Guidence/Program(?) Please :)

Options
(Please forgive the typo in the topic.. GuidAnce, Nikki... GuidAAAAAAAAAAAnce!)
Hello,

Quick intro: I generally run around 4.5km every morning, today I pushed myself to 5km! Yay! I did the 5k in about 37 minutes.

I'm interested in quickening my pace, upping my endurance/distance but ALSO I'm acutely aware of the toll the impact of running (with my frame, as well) can take on my knees and joints. So I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance or link me to a program of some sorts with what I should be doing - should I just keep hammering 30 minutes + for 6 days a week, should I do longer slower runs. Less days running? What?! :D
I'm very much a "this needs to be spelt out to me" kind of person, if there's a site with a good running program written out (Android app even) I'd be really interested. :) Eventually I'd like to be able to run for an hour or so.

Thanks!

Replies

• blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i'd love to know the same... :)
  • mbalza
    Options
    Check out www.runnersworld.com.
    :)
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    Well its best to run about 3-4 days a week to give your body some rest in. I like to do One day, mostly Monday to do a long run about 5-10 miles. Wendesday I like to do sprints or Farteck type running to build my VO2 Max to be able to run faster. Those are great for burning body fat and do it in 30 minutes. Friday I like to just run 5K and sometimes on Saturday I just go out there and run for about an hour with no stopping, just keep going and dont worry about distance or anything just the time. Rest days will Help with knee problems if you have them but a lot of doctors say that running will help strengthen knee and joints over time if you train and run properly. Just make sure to stretch before and after runs. I like to do Dymanic type stretching before running that wont wear me out but get my blood flowing before runs to help prevent injuries and static or Yoga after running to help get a deep stretch in my legs and my body.
  • jessmp22
    Options
    Try this website...great running/training plans for every ability level and plans for how much you want to run in a week...which also includes much needed rest days!

http://www.halhigdon.com
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far, I'm not having any joint issues as yet, but I guess I'm worried about it in the future, or burning myself out.
    I've also been reading a bit lately about how running only improves running, it doesn't help in many other areas (including fat loss?) but of course everyone has an opinion on it and no matter what someone says, someone else always disproves it - none the less I enjoy running and am thinking that maybe spicing up my routine (like hayescarmen364 suggested) could help my body do a bit more for itself :)
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've also been reading a bit lately about how running only improves running, it doesn't help in many other areas (including fat loss?) but of course everyone has an opinion on it and no matter what someone says, someone else always disproves it

how strange?! running burns a ton of calories and is cardio -- i don't see how someone could say it WOULDN'T help with fat loss?! well anyway, it is good that you want to run for other reasons, too. and maybe i am missing something? but that strikes me as one of the stranger things i have read lol. anyway, good luck with your running program. i actually hate running, and suck at it, but i am going to REALLY give it a go this time and try and do a 5K within the next 6 months.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've also been reading a bit lately about how running only improves running, it doesn't help in many other areas (including fat loss?) but of course everyone has an opinion on it and no matter what someone says, someone else always disproves it
    LOL what? That is very bizarre. Running is a great calorie and fat burner, from my personal experience. Of course, the food you eat plays a huge role.
    I'm not one for following running plans, but I know there are some good ones out there. For me, running 3-4 days a week is my maximum. Even if I was only running 2-3 miles per day every day, I would still get burned out. I run MWF for 5-6 miles each, and then if my Saturday schedule allows, I'll do anywhere from 5-10. I also bike and try to do a video a few times a week.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Ack! Anyone who read that, it's 6am, i just woke up and thought i was reading a different post!

Thanks for the info!