Can running help build leg muscle?

Options
Just started out, been able to maintain a 3 mile run for about 2-3 weeks now and this may seem like a silly question, but can runners build more muscle in the leg vs to just walking?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! I build from running low inclines and walking on high inclines.
  • nmp1994
    Options
    First, let me say...Way To Go with the 5K training and good luck with the upcoming race!

I'd think so, more muscle from running
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    I started running a few weeks ago, also in prep for a 5K Nov 5th and I have noticed that my legs are more defined now than before and I rarely strength train my legs.
    I would imagine that it would do that more than walking as you are using WAY more power to run than to walk.....Are you noticing a diff???
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Running IS the way of building leg muscle quickly.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Notice a little bit of a difference yeah. Also on the scale too..either my losses are slow, or a gain a little..but ive been good about staying with my calorie goals too..
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Technically yes but it won't last long.
    If you want more leg muscle, do 3 sets of 5 barbell squats and increase the weight by 5lb every time you go .
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I already do squats with 5lb dumbells..can't really afford to get more weights..
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You won't get stronger unless you lift more weight than last time. I'd recommend joining a gym if strength gain is a goal.
    Alternatively, to stay on the running theme, you can do HIIT.
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    Notice a little bit of a difference yeah. Also on the scale too..either my losses are slow, or a gain a little..but ive been good about staying with my calorie goals too..

I notice about 1/2lb gain the next day after a run but it always comes right back off. It's just your muscles reacting.

My massage therapist even commented on the definition my leg muscles are getting :) I owe it all to running. I do run/walk hills on my path too tho as I live on the side of a mountain...so that probably helps.