Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Starting again

RNMomLife
RNMomLife Posts: 2 Member
I’m back at the calorie counting and attempting to get into the gym again. I’m a single mom that works full time so finding me time is not the easiest. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,733 Member
    Accurate calorie counting and intake is the most important thing if weight loss is your goal.

Gong to a gym isn't required in order to gain fitness. How old are your kids? Can you do activities with them? Or there are lots of short workout videos online that you can do when you have a few spare moments. IME, working full-time and raising children means being flexible and not trying to stick to a rigid gym / workout schedule because then it is disappointing when you have to change plans. Just try to add activity to each day whenever you can.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 186 Member
    I’ll go with you.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 271 Member
    Welcome back.
    I just started back too
    Log your foods👍
  • mommabear1968jd
    mommabear1968jd Posts: 4 Member
    I started back this week too, when mine were young and at home I used to exersize at home: lots of dancing with the kids, skipping, holahoop & we had a trampoline that was great exersize just try to make it a bit of fun for you all.
  • mrsd3798
    mrsd3798 Posts: 2 Member
    I just started again also. I started seeing a doctor at a weight clinic. I feel it’s tough looking at labels but I check online at the grocery store and add to my cart the items I find will be safe to eat. The hardest for me is the low carbs but I’m doing calories also by logging foods. I drink a premium protein drink for breakfast to get the early protein suggested. Vanilla and the cinnamon roll are great tasting. Maybe try those they seem filling to me. I bought fruit a lot but now realize fruit is calories also lol. I was on weight watchers and fruits and veggies were free points. I did great on weight watchers before Covid but classes closed and I am not accountable on my own. Hope you get the best results here. I like the idea of dancing with the kids someone suggested also.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    i use an app called fiton and just workout in front of my tv. i LOVED the gym for several decades but started to feel like:
    1. i was spending just as much time driving to and from as i was exercising
    2. i was spending too much time waiting on equipment
    3. i was nursing chronic hip pain and kept lifting too heavy, ended up prolonging my pain

• lovemyfitpal
    lovemyfitpal Posts: 4 Member
    Here is something for exercise that might work for you. Post its. At the top of the stairs put a post it that says...go again. So basically, you teach yourself if you are going down the stairs you turn around and come back up them quickly and down again. It's 20 seconds but it adds up. Put a post it by the fridge. "counter push ups x 20". Do standing push ups every time you open the fridge (with the exception of meal prep time when you are busy). At the door put one that says "ten walking lunges" and do them on your way out the door. They require concentration...take 20-30 seconds...and you are done. You will be amazed at what all of the exercise bombs do! You will work out 15 minutes a day...without even thinking about it...20 seconds at a time. That would mean you had to do do 45 of these twenty SECOND bombs a day...but they add up. For example, out the door and in the door 4 times, up the stairs and down the stairs 4 times, 4 sets of push ups at the counter is 12 bombs! A quarter of the way there without even thinking about it! Get creative and think about the time of day when you are most "in the zone". For example....hold counter with one hand, brush teeth with another and do deep knee bends in place first thing in morning. Before you get in car to drive kids or go to work, count out 20 seconds of marching in place....right at the door of your car. Make it a game with the kids and get them involved. Maybe you build rewards in for whomever gets the most bombs in for the day. All the best
  • NickiBear81
    NickiBear81 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi!!
    I am a huge fan of my slow cooker and early morning runs! ha ha
    The kids love just about everything that comes out of the slow cooker, so we are all eating the same healthy meats and veggies. Slow cooker has become my best friend. :)
    Good Luck, feel free to ad me if you need a buddy. Parenting is tough when you are the only parent, mine are 9, 10, 14 and 18.
  • meluc
    meluc Posts: 154 Member
    Starting again also after zero tracking or workout since 2020. FT working mom of 3 here, hubby works away from home so I’m not single but I am solo parenting at least 8-9 mths each year.

One thing at a time for me but I need to do tracking and moving together to remain focused. That’s just my personality. I have such a long way to go, but for my kids sake, I must try.

Good luck to us both!