working out when sick?

Options
So I have the cold/flu, and am actually really exhausted, all I wanna do is sleep.
Should I workout or just leave it?

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Leave it...or just do something easy if you must, like take a walk.
  • manderlou82
    Options
    I had that stuff and I didn't exercise except walking when i could. Don't overdo it! Eat the best you can and get better. Drink plenty of fluids and double or triple your vitamin c and take echinacea too! That really helped me! Feel better soon!
  • I always work out when sick. It's sucky but it helps sweat it out(;
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest so that it can fight the virus. Just enjoy a lazy few days. Lol :D
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Rest! Listen to your body! However, if you really need a workout, go for a light walk. FEEL BETTER!
  • prettyprpro
    prettyprpro Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Girl, get in the bed and rest. Just watch your cals
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I had the flu the last two days, and I just rested. That meant interrupting my 30 Day Shred, but I was back at it today, and I felt fine. I glad I took the time to let my body heal.
  • angpar
    Options
    It is bad for your heart to work out while sick. Your body needs to focus its energies on fighting the virus. feel better soon:smile:
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For me a good sweat makes me feel better.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    stay out of the gym, take it easy, you will recover much quicker and won't pass the illness to others, who will later reinfect you.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body....I had the same crud this week, and there was one day that I considered my worse day---I slept all day. But the next day, I did water aerobics (that water really wakes you up), and then the next a walk, gradually getting back to my normal exercie routine. so I only took one day off when sick, my worse sickest day.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've just got over a flu-like bug and found that while vigorous exercise made me feel exhausted, walking actually made me feel better. So get out and walk if you feel up to it, but make sure you're eating enough to cover the exercise as you do need your strength.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    exercising when sick is really counterproductive - don't do it AND don't feel guilty either, okay. Just rest. Exercise while sick further weakens the body and this will make fitness harder when you are better.

when a child is sick, do we tell then to go out and play.....no, we tuck them in and love them.

You have our permission to tuck yourself in bed or on couch and rest knowing that it is the right thing to do!

:flowerforyou:
  • adsumodo
    Options
    Use the neck up tip. If your illness is all throat up (like a head cold) you should be fine to go ahead to the gym. However, since you have the flu, it would be best to wait it out and go when you;re feeling better.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    Your energy needs to go to healing. Take it easy. If you want to sleep, then sleep. Don't worry about missing a day.
    PS: have you gotten any news on the job at JC?
    Good luck!!