Zumba!

Options
Can anyone tell me how many calories Zumba burns? Just in general?
Please and Thank you!

Replies

• cyia29
    Options
    I would say 500 to 1000 depending on the intensity
  • sandraannis
    Options
    Thanks for asking cause I want to know too. Tonight was my first class. It was awesome.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is the best way to know.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Depending on the instructor I have burned anywhere from 470 to 590 in a class wearing a heart rate monitor.
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    depends on the intensity with which you commit to the movements. when i first went ,i barely burned 300 cals in an hour b/c i was just busy trying to learn the movements. As i went back more often and grew more confident in the sequences i could put more "umph" into it and burned more calories, usually between 400-450 in an hour. I can generally burn over 600 cals on an elliptical in an hour but the reason i started zumba is b/c after all those repetitive movements that come from doing cardio like running, elliptical, cycling, roller skating - i needed something that would give my legs and hips and core more variety of movement. it helped prevent stiffness and overtraining from the other activities, so even though i burned less calories, i really do believe it was overall more beneficial to do zumba versus, say, running. give it a try and have fun :)
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about watching calories invest in a heart rate monitor. Before I got one I tended to overestimate my calorie burn. It's so dependent on your body type and your intensity.