Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Walk vs run for first 5K

rlpomeroy
rlpomeroy Posts: 723 Member
Hi all. I am considering doing my first 5k in September. I am a 57 (will be 58 by then) year old male. Over the last year or so, I have dropped from 260 to 190. My eventual goal is about 165. I also have reduced heart ejection fraction from a heart attack a couple of years ago that left some scar tissue. It is currently about 45%. I haven't run since high school football. I walk quite a bit now and average about 10,000 step a day. Walking the 5k wouldn't really be a challenge for me, but I'm concerned that trying to run it might be to much. Thoughts? Thanks

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,729 Member
    The C25k program takes about 9 weeks, so you have time to build up to a solid run, if that's what you want to do and if your doctor approves. You could also just build up to a 3:1 or 2:1 run:walk and do the entire distance at that level. Many people do run/walk at races, even long ones. The walking intervals allow your heart rate to fall and leg muscles to relax so is easier on the body but is still a challenge when done over distance.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,760 Member
    Can I just add, with events, if you enter as a walker you can only walk - run a single step and you’re cheating and risk disqualification. Enter as a runner and you can walk and run as you feel - a lot of people do this (either intentionally or not).

If you feel walking isn’t enough of a challenge, set yourself a goal to run a certain amount.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 175 Member
    Good for you - keep us posted with your progress!

(Having never enjoyed running, I took it up about 3-4 weeks ago just to see if I could get to the point where I could run 5k without walking. I don’t have any health issues to deal with, but I feel I am making good progress so far. I’m using a Garmin coach program and taking it slow and steady - if you’re a Garmin user I’ll happily ‘connect’ to cheer you on!)
  • rlpomeroy
    AmunahSki wrote: »

(Having never enjoyed running, I took it up about 3-4 weeks ago just to see if I could get to the point where I could run 5k without walking. I don’t have any health issues to deal with, but I feel I am making good progress so far. I’m using a Garmin coach program and taking it slow and steady - if you’re a Garmin user I’ll happily ‘connect’ to cheer you on!)

I would like to connect as well. I can't remember how to reach out on there though. Can I search your user name? I am using one of their coaching programs and I'm off to a rough start...lol.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,685 Member
    rlpomeroy wrote: »

I would like to connect as well. I can't remember how to reach out on there though. Can I search your user name? I am using one of their coaching programs and I'm off to a rough start...lol.

I really recommend a C25K program and not a Garmin one. Just run-walk intervals with progressively longer running. For example: https://www.bbc.com/sport/68836703

I've started a few Garmin programs, but I don't really like them personally - though I'll admit I never tried one for starters.

Why rough? One of the pitfalls is not taking it slow enough - slow jog, not 'sprints'. I started out with a running pace barely faster than walking 🙂
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,760 Member
    Come join us in the monthly running challenge for loads of support, helpful information and insights, and inspiration: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10919058/july-2024-monthly-running-challenge/p1?new=1
  • GardenQueen30
    GardenQueen30 Posts: 17 Member
    I encourage you to 1) definitely talk to your doctor, but (2) check out the Run-Walk-Run method book by Jeff Galloway! It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, and mixing up running and walking has been honestly life-changing for me lately, especially trying to run in the heat. You can get his book super cheap on Abe Books.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 175 Member

I think this will work:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/d7d8131e-9b51-4a03-8f47-072843d5cde4
  • rlpomeroy
    I did my 3rd training "run" yesterday and I have to say that it is getting a bit easier. I ran slightly more of it than I had the previous times and I felt a little more smooth. The first few times that I have tried to run I felt extremely clumsy and like I was hitting the ground really hard. By the end yesterday, it was a bit more of a glide. I look forward to continuing to improve. Thanks for the help.
  • rlpomeroy

I think this will work:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/d7d8131e-9b51-4a03-8f47-072843d5cde4

Request sent
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 387 Member
    Do what feels right. Remember, they aren't an all or nothing event. You can walk and run if you want.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 130 Member

Lots of good advice already and glad to hear you're finding it a bit easier.👍
    There's also a MFP group on Garmin called 'My Fitness Pal Buds'.
    Not a lot of interaction on messaging posts, but a ton of folks sharing their exercise on the daily feed which I find very inspiring.