Healthy or Risky?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ruby11222
    Options
    When my loss stops I make up a big pot of soup with broccoli, zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, onions, garlic, red lentils, chick peas, red kidney beans, I puree' it up and just eat that as much as I want all day, along with a lot of water. Gets my system going again.
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Its surprising how many people here don't know how to feed themselves enough food. Just eat more, you're just slowing down your metabolism and storing fat because you aren't eating enough.

I started 2 weeks ago at 180 lbs and MFP only gives me 1200 cal as well. I only eat more if I earn more cal by exercising. I really don't think I'd loose anything if I ate any more than this.
  • skinniewannabe
    skinniewannabe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When my loss stops I make up a big pot of soup with broccoli, zucchini, carrot, sweet potato, onions, garlic, red lentils, chick peas, red kidney beans, I puree' it up and just eat that as much as I want all day, along with a lot of water. Gets my system going again.

This actually sounds really good!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious do you have a recipe?

Also OP-I know I've added my two-cents a lot already, but look up the volumetrics way of eating. The basic premise is to look at food and try to get more bang for your buck, so to speak. It's all about the amount of food you can eat for the calories-as in 100 calories of fruit is much more filling and healthy than 100 calories of chocolate. It's all about what you eat. I know it's hard to eat heatlhy at home, believe me my mother sabotaged me all the time, if you can use the george foreman grill to cook stuff-and look up healthy recipes online etc. Maybe find something your mom can cook so she'll understand how much eating healthfully means to you.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ok, on the home cooked meals, you may want to have a sit down with your mother and get the ingredients to different dishes. It was amazing to me when I found out on this site how many calories a little olive oil adds and more for a little butter. Same amazement for ranch salad dressing calories, just add ons like these things can make a huge difference in calories so you could be getting hidden calories you don't even know about since your mother does the cooking. It is also important not to skip a meal. I keep something in the console of the truck and in my purse in case I get delayed and can't eat on time. Small packs of peanuts are good to keep and I love those Special K Strawberry bars. I do enter my food before I eat to keep me on track and I try to eat 6 to 8 times a day because my metabolism has been close to dead the last five years.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hard to really give good advice withourt knowing what your calorie make up is. When I eat more lean meats and lots of veggies with fruit throughout the day I lose pretty easily. When I eat lots of high fat high sodium foods I stall. I have the hardest time with sodium, but good fiber, good hydration and clean eating is key for me.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Hard to really give good advice withourt knowing what your calorie make up is. When I eat more lean meats and lots of veggies with fruit throughout the day I lose pretty easily. When I eat lots of high fat high sodium foods I stall. I have the hardest time with sodium, but good fiber, good hydration and clean eating is key for me.
    I concur...
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well two things leap out at me without seeing your diary.

First, when I started with gym, I worked out for an hour and a half, three times per week. In the first 2/3 months, I gained 2 pounds (and I went from being a couch potato pretty much). I was so down and disheartened, but I was getting stronger and had more endurance. I really pushed myself too. Muscle weighs more than fat and new exersizers gain fast. Muscle also needs more water to grow, so you have a lot of water weight.

BUT muscle needs good nutrition. Also, it is easier not to eat 500 cals than it is to burn it off.

So secondly, don't look at your cals in isolation. Look at your food as fuel. Cereal and a yogurt might fill your calorie requirements, but do they provide your body with all the phytonutrients and antioxidants it needs? My body clung to every pound until I started feeding it in a clean, balanced way....now I am dropping a pound a week which is my goal. It did take some 'tweeks; to get to a losing pattern though.

Don't lose hope. Give your body the best food you can and get back to gym. You'll feel better and the weight loss will follow!
  • Ruby11222
    Options
    Not really but i'll write out a rough one.

2 large brown onions
    3 cloves of garlic
    1tsp olive oil
    Masterfoods All Seasoning Powder - 3 tbsp
    Masterfoods Garlic Powder - 3tbsp
    2 large broccoli
    3 large zucchini
    2 small carrots
    2 medium sweet potatoes
    400g can of red kidney beans
    400g can of chick peas
    1 cup of dry red lentils
    2L-3L of Campbell's Chicken or Vegetable stock - enough so it Just covers the veggies in the pot

Wash all the veggies.

Fry the chopped onions in the olive oil until the onions go clear, add the garlic and all seasoning powder, add 2L of stock.
    Put in peeled and diced sweet potatoes. Add chopped unpeeled carrots.

Chop and add all other veggies. Put beans and chick peas in a strainer and rinse with cold water until the water comes out clean, put them in the pot. Add lentils. If the stock isn't covering the veggies, you can add more. Add garlic powder and mix around. Pop on the lid and leave on a low heat, stirring every 10 minutes or so just to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.

Blend up with a metal stick mixer.

This sounds delicious do you have a recipe?

Also OP-I know I've added my two-cents a lot already, but look up the volumetrics way of eating. The basic premise is to look at food and try to get more bang for your buck, so to speak. It's all about the amount of food you can eat for the calories-as in 100 calories of fruit is much more filling and healthy than 100 calories of chocolate. It's all about what you eat. I know it's hard to eat heatlhy at home, believe me my mother sabotaged me all the time, if you can use the george foreman grill to cook stuff-and look up healthy recipes online etc. Maybe find something your mom can cook so she'll understand how much eating healthfully means to you.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    When's the last time you went to the doctor, Char? I would definitely consider getting your thyroid checked because I've heard that can cause a lot of problems with weight loss. And, there's nothing wrong with eating your mom's cooking....it's all about portion control. Do you have your work set at sedentary or lightly active? Rather than setting it at sedentary and adding the time you "fish in the river", lol (which I assume is when you're at work)...maybe try setting it to lightly active and see how many more calories it gives you per day.

And, if you need someone to kick your butt and keep you accountable, I can do it =)
  • CharleneJ14
    CharleneJ14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lightly active.. when i was at sedentary it gave me only 1200