How to lose 10kgs / 22 pounds

I had lost 22 pounds a year back and gained back most of it , how to lose it again and maintain

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,185 Member
    To maintain, keep counting calories into the future after you lose, if that’s possible for you. Just count maintenance calories instead of a deficit once you are back where you need to be.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,847 Member
    Eat in a way you see yourself eating in the future so you don't stop doing so once you've reached your goal weight and regain because you've learned nothing for maintenance. Just eat less of it. If you feel your current diet is too calorie dense or in any way not suitable then make small changes, see what works for you and what doesn't.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 303 Member
    Prashant05 wrote: »
    I had lost 22 pounds a year back and gained back most of it , how to lose it again and maintain

Losing can be easy for some people, maintenance is the hard part. We live in a "diet" culture, and there isn't a ton of talk about maintenance. While you're losing the 22lbs you can find your daily calorie goal for maintenance by adding 3500 cal per pound you lost that week to your weekly intake. It'll still be rough, but if you change your eating habits overall so your weight loss eating is just how you eat it will be much easier to maintain.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,321 Member
    edited July 1
    What do YOU think happened?

How did you lose the weight? Extreme restriction? That isn't sustainable.

I agree with everyone above.

Find your calories for maintaining. Eat a little less than that. When you hit your Goal weight, then you have to stay at the Maintaining number of calories.

Maybe read around in the "Maintaining" weight subforum.

I lost 80ish pounds in 2007-08 and I've kept it off. I changed everything about my life from the food I eat to my sleep and stress level.
    • I still weigh my food and I still log it
    • I still get some exercise a minimum of five days per week
    • I still step on the body weight scale regularly
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,748 Member
    Honestly, the key to maintaining is to experiment and find relatively easy, practical, sustainable routine habits - both eating and activity - that can continue almost on autopilot forever once practiced for a bit. What those habits are will be very, very individual.

Keep a bit of a calorie deficit while those experiments and practice go on, and weight will be lost. At goal weight, eat a few more calories to stabilize weight, and keep the habits going.

It's that easy, and that hard.

For some people, as others above suggest, that will require continuing to calorie count. Other people find methods they can sustain that don't require counting.

If you ask me, no one else can tell us exactly what to do. They can give us ideas to try, but only we can figure out if those ideas are practical for us, or not.

The results are worth the effort, though . . . speaking from the perspective of around 8 years at a healthy weight, after about 30 previous years (before loss) of overweight/obesity.

Yes, I still calorie count - not as consistently as I did for the first couple of years, but it's still in the toolkit, because it works well for me.

• rgrabowska
    rgrabowska Posts: 2 Member
    Hi!

Keeping your ideal weight can be tricky, especially for men who need a specific calorie and protein intake. We cannot forget about hydration and other crucial elements like iron or omega-3 fats which keep you energised and healthy!

I have been reading some articles to help my partner find a suitable diet, and this one caught my attention: https://listonic.com/meal-plans/en/complete-meal-plan-for-men

It gives you tips and a sample meal plan along with other valuable information. While maintaining a healthy diet is important, consistency is the key! I keep my fingers crossed for you :)