Weight Loss/Bariatric Surgery Options

I'm just looking for some input from anyone who knows anything about these procedures:

The time has come for me to make a decision: Roux-en-Y gastric bypass OR vertical sleeve gastrectomy? My GYN liked the idea of the RNY because of my PCOS, but my surgeon recommended the VSG because of my age, BMI, and reflux (fewer complications both short and long-term). I'm stuck! So, if anyone has input or advice, I'd love to hear it!

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    I'm sorry. I am not at all informed about either of those procedures.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    You can lose this weight without surgery. You are not that far behind me in weight. You have already shown a loss. I know those surgeries are an absolute necessity for some, but you are young and mobile. You can make lifestyle changes on your own without surgery to get the weight loss. You can do it just making the same commitment to monitoring your intake for your pre-op and post-op and making it to yourself.
  • After the procedure don't you have to radically change your diet?

Don't you have a year of diet prep before they even get into the surgery?

Wouldn't it be much easier and cheaper to just change your diet and exercise a bit more?

And just because you get this surgery doesn't mean you will lose weight. I've known people that have gained it all back because they stretch out their small stomachs because they don't change their habits.

You need to change your habits, not your stomach.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Don't do either. Seriously. I have a lap-band and it's the worst thing ever. I hate it.
  • MsTAZ1
    MsTAZ1 Posts: 1 Member
    check out this website: www.obesityhelp.com
    It is very information and has tons of information about all the procedures. The message boards are extremely helpful.
  • I won't pretend to know everything about this, because I don't. However, I had the LapBand surgery performed a few years ago, and wish I hadn't. Enormous waste of money for me. I'll elaborate if needed.....not sure if this is the same type of procedure you're thinking about having. Message/Friend Request me if you'd like to chat about it!

I thought weight-loss surgery would fix all my problems, and it most certainly did not.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    I won't pretend to know everything about this, because I don't. However, I had the LapBand surgery performed a few years ago, and wish I hadn't. Enormous waste of money for me. I'll elaborate if needed.....not sure if this is the same type of procedure you're thinking about having. Message/Friend Request me if you'd like to chat about it!

I thought weight-loss surgery would fix all my problems, and it most certainly did not.

This. Exactly.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    If your ticker is correct, you started about 45lb lighter than I did. I started at 298 and have lost 50lb on my own without surgery. It isn't going to solve all your problems as people have said. Its only going to be used as a tool, you will still have to eat good and exercise and the risk for complications is so high, I wouldn't consider it ever.
  • I agree with MsTaz~ obesityhelp.com is a great website and resource for anyone exploring surgery.

I had RnY 5 yrs ago, have lost around 120 lbs, and am maintaining beautifully. I wish I would have done it sooner!

However, that said, having surgery is a very personal decision. I encourage folks to do their research, particularly about their surgeon- this is critical. I also encourage folks that therapy is very important to success. Most of us have a lot of head issues that have contributed to our obesity to begin with, and as the weight begins coming off, a therapist can be a great resource in helping you to deal with the social issues that emerge with weight loss, especially if you happen to be like me and have been overweight/obese for as long as you can remember.

Your surgeon should also have a support group. I encourage you to attend prior to surgery so that you can meet some post-ops and learn about what their successes and challenges have been.
  • These both surgery are help to lose weight. But which suits your body that all depends. Because all surgeries are not suits to everyone's body. So for that only doctor and bariatric surgeon helps you more. Take more opinion for it and advice from your physician.

For more details visit: http://www.ebariatricsurgery.com/