Acidophilus

Options
I get strep throat often, and the last time I had it the pharmacist recommended that I take "probiotics" in a pill form as I had been on the penicillin for almost 2 months on-and-off. With being on the penicillin it was killing the bad bacteria as well as the good bacteria as well, this she said would help keep a balance while I got better - AND prevent me from possibly getting a yeast infection too - again with the good/bad bacterias being killed off I was more at risk.

Ive been doing a lot of reading up on it, and it sounds like a great thing to aid your body in so many ways:
- Healthy immune system
- Protect the body against harmful bacteria
- Aids digestion
- Relief from intestinal problems
- With all of this it can aid in weight-loss too

I am just curious if anyone out there takes this on a daily basis and if anyone recommends it or DOESN'T recommend it and why.

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes...and it works. Antibiotics kill what the probioitics replaces...so it is a very good thing. My son, who could not eat a salad without issues took align for 3 months,and , after years of not being able to eat a salad, can now enjoy as many as he wants. The doctor recommend align to him. My dr. just said to buy probiotics. They do help greatly...and no side effects. hope this helps.
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Probotics are great. I take daily in pill form and drink a Yakult yogurt drink as well.
    I notice less issues with my "guts" when I take them along with lots of fiber and plenty of water.
  • Ruby11222
    Options
    They are great, you need to replace the good bacteria that antibiotics kill. I take them and also give them to my dogs.

I take BioCeuticals UltraBiotic. It is much stronger than almost all of them. I also eat Jalna yoghurt which contains more than any other yoghurt as far as I know.
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are great! I take them everyday.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Another acidophilus and probiotics fan here. I had a medical issue which made me more susceptible to infections for about a year. The probiotics helped.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Acidophilus daily for the last year. Until then I had been having trouble with yeast infections and also digestive troubles - I'd (sorry, TMI) get backed up and then get the runs, and the cycle would repeat.
    Now I have none of either of those problems - it's great!
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Acidophilus daily for the last year. Until then I had been having trouble with yeast infections and also digestive troubles - I'd (sorry, TMI) get backed up and then get the runs, and the cycle would repeat.

That's almost exactly how I am, usually the extreme of either side of that spectrum. Actually thought I had IBS for a long time - but the doctor never wanted to confirm that's exactly what I had. Maybe Ive just had an UN-healthy gut this whole time - ever since I started getting really sick about 10 years ago, and been on penicillin and like products 3-5 times a year!

How long after taking it daily did you see a difference? What exactly do you take on a daily basis?
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

That's almost exactly how I am, usually the extreme of either side of that spectrum. Actually thought I had IBS for a long time - but the doctor never wanted to confirm that's exactly what I had. Maybe Ive just had an UN-healthy gut this whole time - ever since I started getting really sick about 10 years ago, and been on penicillin and like products 3-5 times a year!

How long after taking it daily did you see a difference? What exactly do you take on a daily basis?

I would see an Immunologist is you are taking antibotics that much.

You may have Primary immunodeficiency (PID). Adults and children affected by PID have little or no natural defence against infections. They can experience an array of health problems ranging from recurrent colds and other respiratory ailments such as bronchitis to heart problems, pneumonia, skin disorders and arthritis.