Eating before bed

Options
How long before bed should you not eat? I know that its not a great idea to be eating anything close to bedtime, but what are you guys using as a cut off point? Fortunately for me I've never been much of a late night eater because I would get sick in the morning if I did. So thats one less habit to break. Yet, here I am, about an hour and a half til bed and two hours since dinner and I'm starving. I'm drinking water and it is taking the edge off the hunger, but I think Im too close to bed to try and use any of my remaining calories.

Replies

• doinit4tayzie
    Options
    Eat a healthy snack, grab some carrots or something. Thats what i do if i get hungry at night. Buttttttt im just starting out. Sooooo let see what everyone else says.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you have calories to spare, it really doesn't matter when you eat them.

I would not eat too many carbs or caffeine...unless they don't bother you.
    I usually have some greek yogurt with a little pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and walnuts...(130 cal, 20g protein, 7g carb)
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you have calories to spare, it really doesn't matter when you eat them.

I would not eat too many carbs or caffeine...unless they don't bother you.
    I usually have some greek yogurt with a little pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and walnuts...(130 cal, 20g protein, 7g carb)

Yummy!! Do you use canned pumpkin or what? That sounds amazing
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says not to eat anything 3 hours before bedtime but I am like you...I get so hungry at night! I drink water but it isn't always enough. I usually have some calories to spare, too. Frankly, I will eat some yogurt or some fruit...processed like chips or cereals. Raw veggies is also good...or popcorn. None of that has hurt me in anyway.
  • fit4travels
    Options
    It's best not to eat before bed but if you are hungry just try to eat really low calorie and low fat food. Vegetables are the best! Also try drinking green tea - it has tons of health benefits and supresses your appitite. It does contain caffiene though so if your sensitive to caffiene it's probably best not to drink it just before you go to bed!
  • charly_80
    Options
    I usually try to eat fruit - something natural. I will eat any time if I am actually hungry but I try to maintain a cut off point at around 9PM to avoid the boredom eating which is one of my faults.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]10277143.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hunniebunn
    hunniebunn Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    About an hour and a half to two hours.
    It allows the body to metabolize the food before you lie down (which is the slowest metabolising time). Even though you are burning calories while you are sleeping, you don't want your stomach to try to digest while you are snoozin!
    If you are having cravings near bedtime eat foods that are low in fibre, low in carbs.
    Try celery with light peanut butter :)
    I used to be a late night snacker, but eating several little meals throughout the day has curved the late night craves.
    Good luck <3
  • Naytahlee
    Naytahlee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I ate 5 baby carrots plus another glass of water and I feel better (totally forgot I bought the carrots). Also thanks for reminding me about the tea. I cant do green tea at night but I used to love to drink camomile. Add that one to the grocery list.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease about trashing my diet if I ate too late.
  • agent300
    Options
    it makes absolutely no difference when you eat if you eat at a calorie deficit in a 24 period.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Avoid high carb foods or caffeine purely because these can keep you awake. Otherwise eat whenever you want. :-) Your body is resting & repairing when you sleep, and still burning calories, it isn't dead.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Why not eat before bed?
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Why not eat before bed?

Do we turn into Gremlins?