• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    They are generally expensive.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Waste of money. Dangerous side effects.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351800-i-will-never-put-a-diet-pill-in-my-mouth-again

A friend of mine is a jockey. He took them once to lose weight. He didn't sleep for two days while taking them. When he stopped taking them he was like a walking zombie with exhaustion.

Safe your money and your health, stay away from them.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ephedra and Ephedrine are not illegal in the US, but it is however illegal to include them in a diet pill. Only takes a few people to make some mistakes and it ruins it for everyone. I think they were the active ingredients in most all "working" diet pills.

I think you can get it prescribed via doctor or you can just purchase them online. If you use them unsupervised however, please - be careful! This kind of stuff will kill those not respectful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Never worked for me and they have a lot of bad things in them. Just say no.
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    Yeah...stay away. You will gain the weight right back if you don't learn how to change your habits! :sad:
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    I take phentermine......But not really for the weight loss I take it for the boost of energy. I have taken them for so long I am kinda immune.

They can cause serious side affects though. I had to cut my caffeine way back because I was having heart palptations. But for $25 bucks a month, I figure it is cheaper than a Redbull a day or coffee.
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I heard they were basically just billy (speed),so just had the same effect as actually doing billy, ie making you just not want to eat. Or sleep! And presumably, would also have the billy-like effects of knackering your heart, and let's not forget, making you talk utter bollocks at great length.

*ahem*... so I've been told... *ahem*
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    They cost 100-120 bucks a bottle for prescription Adipex. The good = They work well for a lot of people. They really do suppress your appetite and they really do give you a constant jolt of energy. The bad = They can be very addicting, and when you come off of them prepare to be sleepy for about two weeks.

I am not as anti-diet pill as some... Due to my doc being unable to sign me up for Qnexa, an experimental drug trial, he prescribed the the combo of Tomapax and Adipex, and they worked wonders for me. So dont listen to the DANGERmongers either. Let your doc decide if you need them.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Waste of time and money---you need to do it right and learn along your journey. You know as well as I know, that as soon as you stop those pills, you are going to go right back to your old habits.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Never worked for me and they have a lot of bad things in them. Just say no.

Do you drink coffee, tea, or eat chocolate?
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Diet pills market themselves as shortcuts or quick fixes for people who are simply concerned with the Number on the scale. Most of the time, they're just extreme diuretics meaning you'll lose a ton of weight but spend the next week in the bathroom.

Along with that, they'll generally either be loaded with Caffeine or other stimulants such as Ephedrine, Hot Pepper extracts and a bunch of other junk.

All that being said however, they don't address the CAUSE of someone being overweight which is a factor of the Actual Lifestyle. Anyone looking for a quick fix, who doesn't adjust their overall lifestyle, will ALWAYS find themselves right back where they started, and generally in worse shape than they were before.

There are no shortcuts...just hard work, dedication, consistency and willingness to make a change.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Quick fixes don't teach you how to eat properly, which is key to keeping the weight off. Do it "the old fashioned way" (healthy diet and exercise) and you'll keep the weight off and will be healthier overall.
  • TaraTLC83
    TaraTLC83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in them, ask your Dr.

It's important to make sure it is safe for you to take them before you make a decision. Drugs are awesome, but can be bad when taken incorrectly or with other medications that may interact.

For example, taking Tylenol and drinking a few beers = very... very.. bad and not many people know that!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Your body will not appreciate you feeding it diet pills, try fruits & veggies instead. Treat your body right! :flowerforyou:
  • davidgamelljr
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/j67h5/wanting_to_start_an_eca_stack_but_cant_find/

^ in response to ephedrine being hard to find in the u.s. - this thread says you can get it at cvs over the counter, under the name "bronkaid".

also, you should read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/hw37h/cannot_contain_appetite_postephedrine_life/

obviously, that is a ridiculously extreme case, but it's helpful to understand the gravity of what you're jumping in to, so that you can exercise caution.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The majority of thermogenics assist in only about 1% of your total weight loss. That's a lot of money to spend for such an outcome.
    And they don't teach you how to eat or control, but to rely on a crutch to take weight off. Also after a period of use, you can adapt to the dosage which would make them useless.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    For the most part they're 200mg of caffeine.

Nearly all the top pills are.

You can get that outta a large cup of coffee.

Not worth the price at all I'd say.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be on my own here, but ephedra actually helped me lose a lot of weight, but its illegal now. No diet pills I took worked after that. Ephedra was the key. I lost about 70 lbs and kept it off for over 10 yrs. But, without the ephedra, its not really worth it.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can tell you my experience. The cheap ones just take your money. The doctor prescribed ones ruin your sleep cycle, and screw up your metabolism. I did lose weight on doctor prescribed ones many years ago and when I went off, the weight came back on so fast, I couldn't believe it. It's like my body put on weight no matter what and I could not stop being hungry. I also could barely open my eyes for a month. Don't do them, they are nothing but a complete fraud and unhealthy.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget the night that I had to rush my ex-boyfriend to the ER because his blood pressure had risen to dangerous levels after taking a Hydroxycut...

There are just too many side effects to diet pills for me to even concider them at all.