Weights Newbie

Options
Hi ... due to foot problem and advice, I am starting weights training. Laughing at this post is expected.

I have NO CLUE what I am doing. I had some tips as to what to do for certain areas but now I have gone to log them I do not know what the moves are called.

Is there a single page on the web somewhere with pics as to what the movements (in the MFP database) look like ?

Both that I did involve laying an my back pushing a barbell (I said I am a newbie - I think that is what it is called) with 9kg each end from chest into the air and then back down. The other one I do the same thing but behind my head from the floor (palms up).

Thanks guys,

Gary

Replies

• Jmoore1031
    Jmoore1031 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmmm the first one you're explaining I would say is a bench press. Not for sure about the second one, but perhaps try and look on youtube for the movements of workouts and there it should display the workouts names. Good luck
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Bench press and skull crushers?

Go to www.boyduilding.com and they have pictures and videos of all different kinds of weight exercises.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Just added time taken in Cardio ... more research later :)
  • dazlite
    Options
    I have just set up a beginners free weights programme for myself which you might find useful:

Warm-up:

- Jog around the block 3-5 mins
    - 20 jumping jacks

Free weights:

2 sets of 10 reps each

Barbell:

- Squat (legs and glutes)
    - Barbell Military Press (shoulders)
    - Deadlift, Straight Leg (legs and glutes)
    - Bench Press, Barbell (chest)
    - Biceps Curl

Dumbbells:

- Seated Biceps Curl (aka concentration curl)
    - Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell
    - Dumbbell Row, One-Arm, Bent-Over (back)
    - Kickbacks, Bent, 1-Arm, Dumbbell (triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Fly (chest)
    - Flat Dumbbell Press (chest)

Other:

Leg curl (Using attachment on my bench)
    Sit ups

I tried this on Tuesday and it worked out pretty good. I am also gonna do tonight and eventually build up the weights as I get stronger.

If you have an iPhone I would recommend an app called 'Weightplan' - it's free and has images and videos demonstrating all of these techniques and lots more
  • gazz777
    Options
    Thanks people ... looking through Android Marketplace too. Plenty of Yoga stuff there. I feel like I am back to school having to remember these names.

Ah well, that can only help my brain I guess too. Package deal !!!

Going to go for a walk in my backyard pool - that may take the load off the foot. "Walking in water ?" !

Some stuff on about.com

Guess I'll make my own web page for it :)

Gary
  • gazz777
    Options
    I have just set up a beginners free weights programme for myself which you might find useful:

Warm-up:

- Jog around the block 3-5 mins
    - 20 jumping jacks

Free weights:

2 sets of 10 reps each

Barbell:

- Squat (legs and glutes)
    - Barbell Military Press (shoulders)
    - Deadlift, Straight Leg (legs and glutes)
    - Bench Press, Barbell (chest)
    - Biceps Curl

Dumbbells:

- Seated Biceps Curl (aka concentration curl)
    - Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell
    - Dumbbell Row, One-Arm, Bent-Over (back)
    - Kickbacks, Bent, 1-Arm, Dumbbell (triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Fly (chest)
    - Flat Dumbbell Press (chest)

Other:

Leg curl (Using attachment on my bench)
    Sit ups

I tried this on Tuesday and it worked out pretty good. I am also gonna do tonight and eventually build up the weights as I get stronger.

If you have an iPhone I would recommend an app called 'Weightplan' - it's free and has images and videos demonstrating all of these techniques and lots more
    What weights (how heavy) should I start with ?
  • gazz777
    Options
    Cant find Weightplan on Android, must be iPhone only. The quest continues. Thanks.