low metabolism diet

Options
Hi folks
Any ideas for foods to help someone recently diagnosed as having hypothyroidism?
My metabolism needs all the help it can get.
Used this site to reach and maintain a happy weight but now my weight is starting to creep back, not major gain but little increments which I am not happy with. I don't really want to monitor everything again as before but would like to have a general idea of what I can eat.
Until the correct dosage of the medication is found for me I need all the help I can get!

Replies

• Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well, and one of the things I do is that I eat six small meals a day. Eating more often stimulates your metabolism and helps you stay in a higher burning mode. Also - avoid soy products as soy interferes with thyroid function. If you normally use something like Soy Milk, try Vanilla Rice Dream instead (if you don't want regular milk).
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    Apparently eating Grapefruit or drinking pure fresh grapefruit juice helps to boost the metabolic rate. They have other great health benefits too.

I love the red/pink ones and love to start my day with one..

i hope you get some other ideas
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, sounds a good idea. I have always been more of a "grazer" anyway! :flowerforyou:
  • the_new_robin2016
    Options
    Well i was diagnosed with Hypothyroid almost three years ago. And the first start to maintain your weight, is don't use it as an excuse as to why you are gaining weight! I have lost 60 lbs with the disease, just by eating better and exercising. Exercising in the morning will boost your metabolism. And eating smaller meals once every 3-4 hours as well. This way your body never goes into the 'starvation' mode. Drink lots and lots of water. i drink over 8 cups a day. This flushes your system and makes you not retain the water. Remember, what we eat takes twice as much effort to leave our body! So when you decide to have that burger, its going to be harder to get rid of those fats and cals then a normal body. I guess another thing is don't waste your calories on caloric drinks, but i'm hoping you already know that! A great grapefruit drink is Fresca, and it has 0 calories in it and 0 sugar. And it doesn't taste that bad!! Hope you can get something out of what i have said, and good luck!
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I went on a trawl on the web for metabolism boosting foods and it appears I am already eating some that were suggested! ! Brocoli, oats,hot peppers, soup, apples.
    I will try to drink more water though, that is a failing of mine I am afraid, I live on decaff coffee! Eating frequently is fine for me it's just putting it into practice.
    The one thing that worries me about this is the doc said that alcohol stays in my system a lot longer so I have to cut right back if I want to be safe with driving. Cannot guarentee that even a couple of small glasses of wine will be gone in the morning for driving.
    Well time will tell I suppose. If I can just maintain my weight I will be happy.