Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Salad addition ideas?

thelittlewittyshop
thelittlewittyshop Posts: 1 Member
Are you bored with your salad of greens, cukes and tomatoes??? I love salads, but they don't have alot of protein and are very low in calories, so I have started adding roasted veggies in mine and what a difference. You use less dressing bc the veggies are so flavorful. I LOVE roasted sweet potatoes in tiny chunks! Just put veggies you love (similar in size) on a roasting tray and drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes..then, add to your salad and enjoy! Anybody else have other yummies we can add while keeping it low in calories?

Answers

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,774 Member
    I enjoy slivered almonds and salted sunflower seeds for a little crunch and protein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I like nuts/seeds, too; and use those with just vinegar rather than adding oil. Dry-roasted soybeans are good, too, and protein dense.

Roasted veggies are great. It's maybe a texture issue for some, but I like roasted eggplant, too. Roasted sweet corn is great (I roast it on the cob, then cut it off), or roasted sweet red peppers. (The peppers usually are blackened over a flame, then peeled.)

Beans, especially black beans.

Jicama, celeriac, kohlrabi in thin slices or matchsticks for extra crunch.

Dried cherries or cranberries in reasonable portions. Sometimes fresh fruit like citrus, pears.

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
  • AuroraUwU0
    AuroraUwU0 Posts: 33 Member
    I also love adding a bit of fruit. Mangoe, apple, tangerine or strawberry will make any salad pop with flavor.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    A little bit of a very flavorful cheese like feta or blue cheese. You don't need a lot so it doesn't impact calories too much.

I am also a fan of roasted sweet potatoes.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Cotija is great as a seasoning cheese. I think of it as Mexican feta. Its very strong flavored.
  • Ronnie_happy2ranch
    Ronnie_happy2ranch Posts: 429 Member
    Tuna and chickpeas
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 94 Member
    I love a strawberry salad! Spinach topped with sliced strawberries and whatever nut mix I have (Usually has almonds, cashews, cranberries, yogurt chips) and raspberry vinegarette dressing. I have also done it with raspberries and blueberries instead of strawberries and it is delightful too!
  • ammajay916
    ammajay916 Posts: 6 Member
    Yum! You have Lots of good ideas already. I will sometimes add just a Tbsp of French-fried onions. Counterintuitive, I know. But you don’t need very much at all and it adds a lot of flavor and a satisfying crunch. Really nice
  • ericanahnahnah
    ericanahnahnah Posts: 11 Member
    I tend to go for salty tart sweet and textures. My favorite add ins are pepitas, apples, dried cherries and blue cheese with a vinegarette or goat (or feta) cheese, apricots and sunflower seeds with a balsamic honey dressing. We also found fried garlic at our Asian Market and it definitely changes the flavor profile and adds some crunch. Also Everything Bagel Seasoning is magic on salad.
    You only need a tablespoon or two of dried fruits, nuts and seeds and cheese so those add ins are alot of oomph for the calories and are my go tos. But I do love a roasted veggie salad.
  • mmfromkc
    mmfromkc Posts: 2 Member
    I often eat salads as my main lunch meal. I add protein like leftover chicken (shredded, chopped), steak, or hard boiled eggs or whatever extra protein I made the night before. I often add quinoa too. Almost always sprinkle with pepitas for some good texture!
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,485 Member
    Are you bored with your salad of greens, cukes and tomatoes??? I love salads, but they don't have alot of protein and are very low in calories, so I have started adding roasted veggies in mine and what a difference. You use less dressing bc the veggies are so flavorful. I LOVE roasted sweet potatoes in tiny chunks! Just put veggies you love (similar in size) on a roasting tray and drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes..then, add to your salad and enjoy! Anybody else have other yummies we can add while keeping it low in calories?

LOVE this! I really do not like raw veg very much, but lovve roasted veg! What a great idea.

PS - roasted veg also are great add-ins, along with cooked protein, to homemade soup. 💡
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 174 Member
    edited August 16
    I've been enjoying adding some marinated cukes + extras lately.
    Marinade: rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili crisp. Might add some peanut butter at some point.
    Extras: green onions, sliced garlic, peanuts (honey roasted are especially yummy), edamame, sliced or chunked celery.

Gonna try some mushrooms nexts 😋