Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I’m Sorry it’s long, I can’t eat enough to get the proper calorie requirement HELP!!

I’m becoming frustrated and might have to cancel the premium membership. I’m glad we get the free month to figure this out!

I have had a massive weight loss in the last couple years, due to a medication change (not a purposeful one for diet or weight loss). My appetite Massively decreased and then I had all of my teeth removed and what I was able to eat became even More restricted. My teeth were never completed so my food choices are Still limited, so I struggle a bit with choices, but my Biggest problem is I have No Appetite!

My doctor isn’t too worried about my low caloric intake since my blood work is fine (checked every 3 months), I’m coming off of almost all my meds (blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetic pills, was insulin dependent. Take Nothing now), have lost 160 pounds, but I’m still obese! Was 360 and now 211, but I am only 5’1”

I’ve been at the same stagnant weight for 4-5 months now and my son referred this app. I started counting calories of all snacks, drinks, and meals. Getting a TRUE count of what I intake. The app has me at a 1200 calorie diet to lose 2 pounds a week, which is less than what I was consistently doing at my constant weight loss for the year and a half prior when my massive weight loss happened, but my doctor said 1-2 pounds a week is ok at my size. Especially since he is constantly monitors my labs.

I make a meal: example today’s lunch 4 oz of GF chicken strips (2 pieces) and one yellow squash (air fried). I used 1 melted tbsp of butter for the coating and seasonings since my calories are so low I’m not too worried about it AND their are less calories in butter than olive oil and most others anyway and I can’t afford the fancy stuff. Plus I prefer the taste of the real thing.

I ate A chicken strip and about half of the squash, it took me 30 minutes to do that, and I was stuffed!! I don’t ever get 3 meals in because I’m NEVER hungry first thing in the morning. Anything on my stomach makes me nauseous when I get up.. I usually have to wait a few hours, then it’s basically lunch time. By the time it’s ready and I’m FINALLY done eating (always been a slow eater), I’m not hungry again until 5 or so and again it’s a super small meal. If I do have a snack or two during the day. It’s 10 pieces of pepperoni and Full. A serving of cheezits is about 30-35, I can only eat about 15. Many times I will just measure out 2 cups of milk and drink on that for about 10 minutes and it works great as a snack for me.

Still Not getting enough calories so the Stupid app won’t give me a weight progress or goal. It just constantly gives me a “you’re not eating enough warning”. I get it that people have eating disorders and mine looks like a SERIOUS Red Flag, does this app stop working if it thinks you Have an eating disorder? I do not want to pay for something that’s going to not let me use the stuff, kick me off, shut down, etc... HOW the Heck can I get myself where my appetite will fit a healthier caloric intake with how small my appetite is?? Bad food has a lot of calories, but good food is low…

AAAHHHHH I’m on the Verge of tears

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    First, ignore the message. The app won't quit working because it says you are under eating. It just doesn't let you close the daily diary which isn't a big deal. Concentrate on eating high calorie foods like avocados peanut butter, etc.. Can you drink things like Boost? I was in the hospital and had to eat a lot of calories - long story- so in addition to the food I could eat, they had ne drink Boost also. I think if your doctor is aware of your situation and keeping tabs on it, you are going to be fine.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,287 Member
    edited July 27
    Yeah, closing the day does absolutely nothing other than the silly/wrong projection of "if you eat exactly like this day you'll be at XXX weight in five weeks." It is a dumb "feature" that means nothing. I haven't closed the day for 15 years. Everything else on the site still works the way it should.

You can look at "Reports" https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports for graphing of your weight and your calories/exercise/nutrients and "Edit Previous Entries" https://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/edit on the Check In page for past weight entries. Everything is still recorded.

With that said? I never paid for myfitnesspal. I lost all my weight on the free version. So. There's that.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,266 Member
    edited July 27
    I wouldn’t worry about the you aren’t eating enough messaging. People do intermittent fasting and get the same. It’s for under 1000 cals.

How many calories are you logging? Are you weighing everything?

If you are well nourished- I would go by the scale.

And if you do want to get to 1200 cals. Have a tablespoon of peanut butter or 2. Thats 100 cals per tablespoon and 3.5 grams of protein.if you are severely under calories.. agree with trying a boost shake or some protein shakes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited July 29
    Like others said, just don't close your diary and you won't get that message. Add fats to get your calories up. Since you have teeth issues, consider softer foods - soups, stews, pureed, etc.

Question about the timeline - for 4-5 months you didn't lose any weight, then joined MFP July 19, and since then have been eating under 1200 calories? That's just 10 days, so too early to see how you are actually doing with your food logging.

Come back in 5 weeks from July 19 and let us know your average weekly weight loss for the last four weeks - don't use the 1st week's results in your calculations.

If you don't want to pay for Premium, FYI, many of us use the free version of the app. Free works just fine for regular food logging.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    How long have you been eating at a defect? Maybe try eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks and then going back to a deficits?

As far as easy way to add calories, how about smoothies with fruit, avocado, cashew butter, etc.
  • Londablank
    Londablank Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 4
    I’ve been eating at this reduced amount since April of 2022. So over 2 yrs now…it’s not a choice, it’s a medication I’m on and it’s really not one I want to change. the risks of changing FAR FAR Outweigh the benefits of being on it! You guys have given me some ideas I didn’t think of on how to eat differently.I appreciate all of you