Exercise calories not working, help!

I have hit a stone wall, for the past 2 weeks I have done some mountain climbing and with the aid of my polar fitness watch recorded over 3300 calories burned on each day. I have also done several hill walks also burning off 2200 calories. My diary says I've stayed at 1500 colories food intake but with such large colorie deficits i should have lost right? but I've gained a 1 lb and according to body fat analyser its back on as body fat % not muscle gain. I have really put the effort in to get to 10st 7lbs for next week but this has really hit my motivation, can anyone explain how this can be?

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    if your burning that many calories through by exercise you need to eat them back.. as well as eating your 2300 calories. your defecit is way too large

edit: if youre burning 3300 calories a day without exercise, take off 1000cals (defecit should be no bigger than this) and eat 2300 calories, then when you exercise eat all the calories you burn.
  • babyblake is right, other wise your body goes into starvation mode, which while it sounds like a weight loss plan what actually happens is the body burns muscle for fuel and stores every single calorie it can as fat since it believes that it will not be receiving enough food. This effectively slows your metabolism to a grinding halt.

also eating that little while burning that much is very dangerous and can cause other more sever health issues
  • I agree with last comment. When you burn more calories than you eat, your body gets into starvation mode and every little thing you eat gets stored instead of be burned. So.. you should eat more :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Agree with the above, you must eat back your exercise calories. Surprised you didn't fall off the mountain!