Hello people!

Hi! I am 44 and have been struggling with my weight for a couple of years now. It seems like after I hit 40 everything changed. I have recently been diagnosed with a heart condition and am unable to do any strenuous exercise as it will put too much stress on my heart. So now I am trying to figure out how to navigate loosing weight while not overworking my body.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    Hello and welcome!

The good news is that exercise is optional for weight loss. Weight loss can be accomplished entirely on the eating side of the equation.

Yes, exercise is good for a body, and yes, doing some exercise does let a person eat a bit more while losing at the same sensible rate. But exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, and strenuous exercise is even less necessary. If there are mild/moderate kinds of activity you can do, like easy-pace walking (or really anything), that will have benefits for you.

Personally, I didn't materially increase exercise to lose weight (at age 59-60, BTW). (In my case, I'd already been active for a dozen years . . . while staying overweight to class 1 obese the whole time.) I pretty much kept the same exercise schedule I'd had for years, and did a more effective job managing my eating. For me, that worked great.

You can do this, I believe . . . and the potential benefits are pretty amazing, if your experience is anything like mine.

I'm cheering for you to succeed!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Welcome!
  • PamelaLabossiere
    PamelaLabossiere Posts: 2 Member
    Hey I fully understand how it feels as I'm in the same boat myself. I'm 39 and need heart surgery to fix my heart, so losing weight and being healthy is my main goal but alike you exercise is very hard for me since it stresses my heart and it brings down the mood when you want to do better and your body is failing you. Eating right is a great first step but with a heart that makes life harder try small light exercises like just walking, think of it like baby steps and if you gain some strength then do a bit more but remember to listen to your body. I know I didn't one time and I push myself almost back to the hospital because I was stubborn.