Newly back to fitness Pal.

I am eating out of control, all day long. Food feels some kind of emptiness inside me that I Don't understand! Please offer advice, if you understand this! Honorable2

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,939 Member
    Welcome back!

I cannot give firsthand advice, but I know what you are describing is common, you are not alone in experiencing this.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Welcome back @honorable2

For me, I realize now that a lot of
    what I felt as emptiness was simply boredom. As long as I’m moving or my hands are occupied I’m not bored and less likely to reach for something to nibble.

I also took steps to change who I associated with. Friends who only wanted to whine about their divorce years ago. Family who took advantage, were jealous, who po‘’mouthed constantly.

Changing my circle also changed my life.

As silly as it sounds, being involved here, on the boards, keeps me occupied. Everyone has a different story and reading and replying- well hard to eat and do that on a phone. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m not that coordinated.
  • CityCountryGirl382
    CityCountryGirl382 Posts: 2 Member
    Welcome back,
    Get a Hobbie, I know that sound like no brainer, but it really is important. Most people over eat because their bored or trying fill something that they think is missing. Getting a Hobbie can fill that and give you something to do. Now the real hard part is finding that Hobbie YOU like and wat to do.
    You got this!!!!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    If you’re creatively inclined, needlework, drawing, painting- all hard to do with greasy or crumb covered hands.

Clean and sort a different closet or drawer every day or two to take your mind off things.

When I’m bored and tired of needlework, I have a dog who’s always happy to hear “go for a walk?”

When I get home, I forget I was even hungry.

Btw, lots of us mistake dehydration for hunger cues. Hungry? Drink and glass of water and wait ten minutes. Sometimes that’s all it takes
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,331 Member
    Alternative activity is a good solution (I paint my nails, personally) but I'd do some thinking on what that "emptiness" is. Is it boredom? Maybe. Or maybe it's comforting after a stressful situation/day and some self-care would meet that need. Do you get enough sleep? If we're overtired, our bodies look for fast sources of external energy and that can lead to a lot of snacking. Do you feel like you need a reward or a treat for things you accomplish during the day? Things like "I made it through that presentation, I deserve a handful of chocolate from the office candy bowl". In that case, there are other ways to get that feeling (I let myself scroll MFP for 5 or 10 minutes).

Figuring out the reason isn't always a comfortable process, but being able to address the actual problem can lead to a more sustainable solution. Stopping and asking myself "what do I really need right now?" has been a gamechanger in my snacking habits.