Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

One Month!

mrscosto
mrscosto Posts: 58 Member
I started tracking my calories and macros on 7/1. One month later, and I’m down 10.8 pounds!

I have a long way to go still (starting weight was 330.2 pounds and I’m a 5’2” female), but I’m feeling great, which is almost more important to me than the weight loss itself!

Replies

• lovemyfitpal
    lovemyfitpal Posts: 4 Member
    Brilliant! all the best on your optimal health journey!
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 178 Member
    edited August 4
    @mrscosto - I don't know if you feel like sharing. But you could list your calorie and macro ranges.

I find macros interesting. I have mine set at 30% Carbs, 25 % Protein, and 45% Fat. I know 45% fat sounds like a lot. But I eat a lot of healthy fats (salmon, avocado, chia seeds, walnuts, EVOO and avocado oil). I have my calories set at 1200. And, of course, the numbers are not exact daily. But more of a guideline.

Keep up the good work!
  • mrscosto
    @SurferGirl1982 Thanks!

These are my current calorie and macro goals:

6kenv634fqdb.jpeg

I worked with a trainer/macro coach to figure out my initial numbers. It seems like a ton of food, but with a starting weight of 330.2 pounds, it is working great for me. I really focus on hitting my protein goal (or at least getting close). That seems to be the key for me. If I eat enough protein, I don’t crave other junk, and I am less likely to overeat. I’m not as strict on the carbs and fats. My plan is to keep using these numbers until I stop making progress, and then I’ll adjust as needed.
  • SurferGirl1982
    SurferGirl1982 Posts: 178 Member
    edited August 4
    @mrscosto - Thanks for sharing! Your percentages aren't that far off from mine. I think I'll up my carbs a bit. Carbs aren't bad, as long as we eat healthy carbs (fruits, vegetables, beans). In other words, not carbs from cake and cookies 🙂

It was nice you were able to work with a trainer/macro coach. I live in a small town. So I'm not even sure we have something like that available here. Good luck to you!
  • sandersen1990
    sandersen1990 Posts: 3 Member
    mrscosto wrote: »
    @SurferGirl1982 Thanks!

These are my current calorie and macro goals:

6kenv634fqdb.jpeg

I worked with a trainer/macro coach to figure out my initial numbers. It seems like a ton of food, but with a starting weight of 330.2 pounds, it is working great for me. I really focus on hitting my protein goal (or at least getting close). That seems to be the key for me. If I eat enough protein, I don’t crave other junk, and I am less likely to overeat. I’m not as strict on the carbs and fats. My plan is to keep using these numbers until I stop making progress, and then I’ll adjust as needed.

I've been doing similar to you... I focus on meeting my protien and fiber goals rather than "limiting" to my caloric and carb intake. It's definitely helped me so much.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    That's fabulous @mrscosto!
    Yes, it sounds like you've really got a handle on it.
  • mpjen16
    mpjen16 Posts: 1 Member
    @mrscostco Congratulations! You and I are on a similar journey. Several years ago I was in a really good place and got into the best shape of my life. Then, I broke my foot and for the last 6 years my health habits have really been poor. My weight has gone up and up while my fitness level has gone down and down. In late June of this year, I visited my dear friend in the hospital (she's very, very sick) and I realized that at my age, weight and fitness level, I was on the fast track to health complications like she was having. I don't want to get there. So i started on July 1st (like you) to see if that motivation could help me to get "back on track". I have been using MyFitnessPal daily. I have found a way to fit in some exercise most days and have seen some good changes on the scale. No noticeable changes in how my clothes fit yet, but that's all right. My knees don't hurt as much when I'm going down stairs, so I know I'm making progress.
    I would like to be a "July Jump-Starter" with you, if it's ok. Maybe we can check in with each other occasionally to cheer each other on. Does that sound all right with you?
  • mrscosto
    @mpjen16 I’d be happy to check in with you from time to time.
  • roxcorff
    roxcorff Posts: 4 Member
    I really recommend the macros that Gabrielle Lyons MD talks about in her book, Forever Strong: Forever
    Strong-Gabrielle Lyons

She highly contends that you eat 1 g of high-quality protein per pound of your ideal bodyweight per day. In the research that she is involved with, she has seen that maintaining your skeletal muscle mass is the most important thing you can do for your overall metabolic health. It helps you regulate your metabolism because skeletal muscles are apparently endocrine and exocrine organs that determine how you use the fuel you eat.

That is what I am doing, and I weigh 116 pounds. I was able to increase my muscle mass by 2 pounds this last year, and have a consistent strong DEXA scan.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!