Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Net calories?

Hi everyone. Im new to the app and don't quite understand net calories. I'm on 1200 day. Yesterday my calorie intake was 1177 and my net was 1066. Is that good? I've also had a really low one a week or so ago where I only consumed 957 and my net was 524. I have a read a bit about it and it says if its minus then I'm in calorie deficit but mine doesn't have a minus next to it.
When im at work i walk about 11k - 15k steps a day so i always burn alot of calories which i havent been eating back. I have lost weight so I must be doing something right. I'm now off work for 2 weeks so I'm not burning those calories. Do I still only eat 1200 a day and will I continue to loose weight?
Thanks 🙂

Best Answer

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,688 Member
    Answer ✓
    I really appreciate ur comments. I've not really been on a diet before, I only want to loose a bit for my dad's wedding at the end of the month and i want to maintain that weight. So I'm looking at making sure my net calories are as close to my calorie intake as possible. I do feel like my eating habits have changed since I started logging. I used to get energy out of dark chocolate but I eat alot of berries and fruit now instead. One more question, is it true that fruit and veg are seen as 0 calorie foods. Can i eat as much as I want of those ?

Oh no, it's absolute myth. Honestly, if I didn't count my fruit and vegetable intake I'd never have lost weight. For example: yesterday, adding up all my fruit and veg: 144 calories. Monday: 191 calories. On Sunday 275 calories even.

It's fine to skip logging some very low calories veggies (I have to admit that I don't always log lettuce for example) but most vegetables and fruits do have some calories (some are even surprisingly high calorie) and all those little bits add up.

Answers

• Lietchi
    Net calories is your intake taking into account your exercise/activity.

Your calorie goal already includes a calorie deficit if you selected a weight loss rate, so the goal is to keep your net intake the same as your goal (1200 in your case).

For example, if someone's goal is 2000 calories based on activity level sedentary, but then they exercise for 250 calories, the exercise increases their calorie goal to 2250 to reach the deficit they asked for (the weight loss rate they selected).
    If they only eat 1750 calories, their net calorie intake is 1500 calories (intake of 1750 minus 250 exercise calories).

1200 is already a low goal (MFP will never give a goal lower than that for women) so try to keep your net calories around that. Net 524 per day is way too low (starving yourself) unless your exercise/activity calories are very wrong/exaggerated.
  • Clairecottam30
    Clairecottam30 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks lietchi. So as long as my net calories do not exceed my daily calories I'm ok for loosing weight. That one day was an active day and not much eating so I havent done that since. My net calories usually go between 700-1000pd
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    You shouldn’t eat LESS than 1200. If you lose weight too quickly you will lose a lot of muscle and it could impact your body’s ability to function.
  • Clairecottam30
    Ok thanks.
  • Lietchi
    Thanks lietchi. So as long as my net calories do not exceed my daily calories I'm ok for loosing weight. That one day was an active day and not much eating so I havent done that since. My net calories usually go between 700-1000pd

Also quoting from your other topic:
    Started my diet about 2.5 weeks ago. I'm on 1200 calories a day and I've already lost about 7lb.

It's fine to lose a bit more at the start (a lot of people will lose water-weight at the start), but you don't want to continue to lose at that rate. 0.5-1% of your bodyweight per week is recommended. So not only should your net calories not exceed your calorie goal, you also shouldn't go severely below it. 700-1000 IMO is severely below your goal - your body needs nutrition :smile:
  • Clairecottam30
    I really appreciate ur comments. I've not really been on a diet before, I only want to loose a bit for my dad's wedding at the end of the month and i want to maintain that weight. So I'm looking at making sure my net calories are as close to my calorie intake as possible. I do feel like my eating habits have changed since I started logging. I used to get energy out of dark chocolate but I eat alot of berries and fruit now instead. One more question, is it true that fruit and veg are seen as 0 calorie foods. Can i eat as much as I want of those ?
  • Clairecottam30
    I have been logging them so il continue to do so. Thank you so much 🙂
  • reidlisa9052
    reidlisa9052 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m so glad I read this post! I’ve been watching my calories (for me 1260) and tracking my exercise but I have not taken into account the exercise - now I see why I feel like I keep burning out!!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    fruit and veggies are not 0 cal. weigh them on a food scale!