Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does motorcycle riding as pillion burn calories.

So me and my bf are off to scotland tomorrow to do the NC500 as we do each year. This year we're toying with taking the van instead but part of me still wants to take the motorbike. I've read online that you can loose calories when riding a motorcycle as its classed as exercise. I'm pillion (on the back) I'm not the rider. Will this calorie burn still apply to me.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,283 Member
    Just do what you feel like doing. The calorie burn isn't going to be significant enough to use it as a decision point.
  • Clairecottam30
    Clairecottam30 Posts: 19 Member
    No I know that. I was Just curious to what people thought, I was surprised when I read it burns calories!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,283 Member
    Driving the motorcycle burns calories, not riding behind the driver.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,886 Member
    I believe some motorcycle activities do but not just riding on the back. You're NOT moving enough to create a high calorie burn. No different than sitting in a seat in a car.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,731 Member
    edited August 11
    Agreed with the others. I wouldn't count it as calories burned nor use it as a reason to pick mc over van. I would however look at the weather forecast, and use that as my main factor for choosing. Rain = van, sunny = mc.

Hopefully you'll share some pics! Have fun.

Make your bf pick up some of the stones (there's a map of them, named heavy stones that people challenge themselves with). You too, if you're up to it.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited August 13
    Wind resistance and balance will burn more calories than sitting in a van would. I wouldn't consider it a significant burn though. Similar to standing at a desk vs sitting - sure there's a difference, but not enough to really change up what you can eat or otherwise count it as an extra burn.
    Riding around on a comfy cruiser/touring bike would be similar - some extra burn over driving a car, but again, not a massive burn.
    Spirited sport riding; track riding and racing; dirt bikes; motocross on the other hand are a massive calorie burn - not just a little bit. That's very different though than casual riding.