Feeling sore the morning after exercise!

Options
Hi all,

I've just done day 1 of 30DS and I know I'm gonna feel it in the morning! Just wondering how you all deal with the soreness? I'm very very new to exercise as I've tended to avoid it all my life then normally give up when I get sore! I'm such a wuss! If you wake up really sore do you have a day rest or do you continue to exercise? I'm hoping that now I've gone through childbirth I can be stronger this time! But if any of you have any tips or advice, i'd love to hear it! At the moment I just keep telling myself "no pain, no gain!"

Replies

• Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Stretching and more exercise are the best cures.
  • MrsShramek
    Options
    when I wake up sore I do my workout just a lower intensity (mainly to keep the habit) Im like you I used to stop everytime I got a little hill to climb. Keep it up though and you will be alot happier. At least thats what I have noticed. Good Luck!
  • ksabell
    Options
    stretch, stretch and stretch! :) taking some ibuprofen before bedtime wouldn't hurt either. and keep going!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    when your sore your body is buning more cals read it in book but over time you will get used to the 30ds day it will be easy
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    if this is your first time exercising in a long time, then yes, take a rest day. your body is going to be hurting in areas you didn't know could hurt. best to go into it slowly, then trying to push yourself and getting hurt and discouraged.

listen to the others and take some ibueprofen and plenty of fluids.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Sore is good......severe pain is bad. I pulled a muscle yesterday and so won't be working out until it feels better. So if you are sore, continue to workout, and if you are in actual pain then rest is in order! You'll know the difference. Sore is when you can still do day to day things and are slightly bothered by it and pain is when you can't do day to day things without wanting to cry lol.
    Keep up with the exercise and it won't be too long before you find that you need to push harder to feel the results :smile:
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Someone gave me a tip (she is a dietician) and I swear it is working for me .... ALWAY have protein after a workout. I don't know the science behind it but apparently it is something to do with 'feeding your muscles'.

But anyway, I bought some Pea Protein powder (coz i am allergic to Whey Protein) and now have it after every workout and ta-da no more soreness.... Just wish she told me that before the two days when i felt like i was dying! lol

If you don't already have a protein drink or some such, just have lean meat. I don't know how much you should have but suggest you give it a try. Maybe someone else here can explain the science????? (or debunk the myth).

Obviously as your muscles get stronger you will have less pain anyway but i truly believe that this has helped me. Besides, what have you got to lose by trying it?

Good luck and keep at it.

by the way - I wasn't even doing anything 'strenuous' - just a 30 minute walk and felt like I was dying despite the stretching, warm up and cool down.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Depends on the level of soreness. If it's just that little bit of smarting when I move a certain way, I'd do the 30DS again. But if I'm so sore, it actually hurts to touch the muscle, I'd skip 30DS and do something like a walk to use my muscles differently and get the blood flowing, followed by a really good stretch.

ETA: It's my personal opinion that if you're too sore, you're not going to have proper form anyway - which means you'll be working the muscles wrong and may even hurt yourself more - so why bother trying to do the routine.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Someone gave me a tip (she is a dietician) and I swear it is working for me .... ALWAY have protein after a workout. I don't know the science behind it but apparently it is something to do with 'feeding your muscles'.

If you don't already have a protein drink or some such, just have lean meat. I don't know how much you should have but suggest you give it a try. Maybe someone else here can explain the science????? (or debunk the myth).

No expert, but from all reading iv done, your right. Carbs are your fuel your body need to function, fats are additional fuel stores for when your carbs levels are used up, and protien, particulaly are exercise, repaires muscle tissue faster than allowing it to do it itself. Having it in liquid, protien shakes, form allows your body to absorb it quicker. and best to have within 20 minutes of finishing exercise, and then should be supplimented with solid foods within an hour after. I usually have a banana or something lol

However, after your first few days your going to feel sore no matter if you had a massuss on hand, your body just isnt used to it, i run regulaly, and played badminton other week and hurt from that for 2 days! erugh i thought the soreness was nevere going to end lol i battled through it with running though, and it does help :)

Good luck!