Protein Shakes

Options
Hi,

I work out 3 times a week. Do these protein shakes really work, suggestions would be great!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    really work? depends on what you expect them to do.

You dont really NEED them, they are just an easy way to get in extra protein and hit your macros
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i drink a protein shake after every (almost) work out.

4-6 ounces of fruit juice
    1/4 of yogurt
    1/2 cup of frozen berries
    Banana
    dash of salt
    1/2 scoop of protein powder

stick it in the blender and enjoy. should make about a 12 ounce fruit smoothie. i drink it about a half an hour after my work out is done.
  • Shed4Wed
    Options
    That depends on what you are trying to get them to do.

I work out 3 times a week too, and I use them after my workout to help replenish and build lean muscle. When I first started working with my trainer, he pointed out how low my protein levels are, so this has really helped with that.

I also like them because its something sweet I can have as a treat, and its got its benefits too. I don't rely on them for "weight loss".
  • nicolelhyatt
    nicolelhyatt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sunshine...Some like to have them for meal replacements for those that are on the go. Easy to make or just open a can/bottle and there you go.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    To build muscles your target should be 1g of protein for every pound of bodyweight (or at least lean body weight, depending on your size). Protein shakes can help you hit that. I prefer shakes with <5g carbs. My ratios are in my sig.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    really work? depends on what you expect them to do.

You dont really NEED them, they are just an easy way to get in extra protein and hit your macros

Spoken like a true prodigy. OP listen to this person.
  • allenlisa
    Options
    Shakeology for meal replacement and/or snack and results & recovery for after workout! LOVE them!!
  • sootie87
    Options
    Just heard they are good to fill you up, low in calories. I feel hungry during the day and snacking on fruit etc doesnt really do it for me, and i havent got time to eat during the day. Thought it may help energy levels??
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I only recently started drinking them. I use them on days when I see that there is no way I'm gonna hit my protein targets. I'm doing 40-30-30 ratio now because looking back over my diet, I wasn't even hitting MFPs ridiculously low targets. I'm not a huge meat fan and carbs are my personal crack, so the protein shake I use (CVS whey powder) just helps to supplement my diet.

LOL- this is what I expect them to do, and they are working wonders at it!
  • nettie1969
    Options
    I now have a pea protein one after my workouts and have found that it has really helped reduce my soreness the next day. I am allergic to whey protein so make sure you check which one you are using...still low in carbs and fat and full of protein helping me stay full afterwards (When I workout I find I am starving afterwards - no matter when I eat - but do not like having my main meal after workingout).

i always have a small supply of ready to go ones on hand (especially at work) for those really busy days when I either too busy to stop and eat properly or feel the need for an extra snack (mostly that 3pm pick me up something sweet thing).

So overall, they are a good option for me. Have no idea if they are really "helping" me lose weight or not. I just know that I am shrinking!