Just thoughts from a morning walk...

Options
Ever wonder why we focus on things we can't do or don't have?

I was on my morning walk today and this thought weighed heavy on my mind and heart. Often times we get so caught up on fixating what we don't have or can't do that we can't appreciate all the things in our life that we do have and can do. I have been guilty far more times than I would like to admit of this uphill battle of negative thoughts and lusting for everything and anything I don't have (ex: rockin body or clean house) completely over shadowing and making it entirely hard to see the many blessings in my life (5 awesome kiddos, I OWN a HOUSE!!!). Not to mention that this obsession often leads to me "stressing out" which is highly detrimental to my emotional and physical being.

I have recently been making a conscience effort not to fixate on the things that bring my spirit down! Here are a few changes I have made in my life:

1. GIVE IT ALL TO GOD!!! I realize that I have to give everything to God, and just surrender to the fact that I can't will my way through anything because ultimately I will fail, but when I give it to God, and he does a work in me, then it is his will and ultimately a success, regardless if I can see it or not, I just know and believe!

2. LIVE IN THE MOMENT!!! I stop obsessiving over things of the past or worrying about what is to come, and just live in the now!!! It is what it is, tomorrow is not promised and you can't change what you have already done, but you can live right now!!!

3. SAY IT OUT LOUD!!! I give myself pep talks, and I speak out loud. I tell myself I am beautiful, I am strong, I am going to go for this walk and feel great!!! I have to be my own cheerleader, and say it out loud to proclaim these things, and to hear myself say these positive things about myself so that any thought that says otherwise is muffled by the words I speak!!! If you think it, if you say it, then you will believe it!!!

Anyway, I am working through God's grace not to be my own worst enemy, and through his will to be a positive light shining for his kingdom. I am not perfect, I have many flaws, but through HIM all things are POSSIBLE!!!

Replies

• NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My facebook post from yesterday:

Weighing heavily on me for a couple days.....stop looking for the what-if or thinking about the what-could-be. Invest 100% in the what-is and make it be the good-enough you have been looking for.
  • watchthis
    Options
    This was so inspiring. I can’t tell you how many times I felt like given up and I did so many times in the past. But recently I pray that God will give me the strength to continue. Now my struggle with this process is getting a little easier. Through God everything is possible.
  • emmadrama
    emmadrama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks for this. it hit home for me today.
  • Ayndelady
    Options
    Yes! Great post. Taking some of your words to heart today!
  • VivaLove777
    Options
    @ NicolCook - isn't it AMAZING how we are affirmed through strangers, coincidence I think not!!!

@ Cherickas - AMEN Sista!!! Each day is NEW, and brings about change in us and all around whether we see it or not, it still is happening, so you keep your faith, you are not the exact same person you were yesterday, and through your prayers you will succeed my friend! I am praying for you too!

@Emmadrama and Ayndelady - This is not in my character to put my thoughts out there for everyone to see and judge, I believe I was just a vessel this morning, to God be the Glory, he knows you and loves you, may peace be with you my friends!
  • kittycarson
    Options
    YOU SAID MOUTHFUL..SO MUCH SO THAT I HAVE TO ADD A FEW EXTRA EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Awesome inspiring wisdom! I have struggles with this all of my life...about the little things...I was a typical type A, self-induced worrier. I was killing myself. Stress does cause physiological damage to our bodies. I literally felt it everyday!!!Then one day, I came to the conclusion that I had to learn to slow down, breath, and trust God at his word. Trust that he really loved me and was looking out for my best interest. I heard a million times..."Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"...but it never sank in for me..I did not realize that by worrying, I was sinning by not trusting God...****That is what I learned for me...I am not trying to speak for anyone else or to anyone else's condition.***But, thank God It did sink in. I do have to remind myself sometimes. But, I am much happier, more relaxed, and at ease now that I have learned not to sweat the small stuff. God is indeed in control!
    With that said, this is my favorite scripture: Philippians 4:6-8

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all [a]comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [c]dwell on these things.

Favorite because not only does it urge us not to sweat the small stuff but it gives us practical advice on how to beat it!!!
  • VivaLove777
    Options
    @dandkcarson - Love it!!! Thank you for sharing my friend!!!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have to have the same talks with myself on some days. At one point, I kept a journal by my bed and wrote down every night before going to sleep, five blessings or good things or things I am thankful for. Amazing what positive thinking can do for a person.
  • VivaLove777
    Options
    @nuttyfamily - Positive thinking = Healthy thinking!!!
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Great post! I love having Jesus in my life! I've been with Him for years, and He is so amazing, faithful, and a huge help! My life verse is also Phil 4:6-8. Love His peace, enjoy it today!
  • taritchie
    taritchie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • ketchuplover
    Options
    Have a lovely day y'all :)
  • VivaLove777
    Options
    Have a BLESSED day ALL!!!