Monday - Upper w cardio
Tuesday - Lower w cardio
Wednesday - cardio only (recovery)
Thursday- Upper w cardio
Friday - Lower w Cardio
Saturday- cardio only
Sunday - full body (light weight) & cardio

(Download MyFitnessPal app)
Every single workout I have written, your last rep should be super hard to do. If it’s not your not lifting heavy enough.

MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH BEFORE AND AFTER EVERY WORKOUT IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!

- [ ] First rep
- [ ] Second rep
- [ ] Last rep

Monday (Upper)

Hammer Curls 3x12 -
Overhead Tricep Extensions 3x12 -
Bench Press 3x10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x10
Dumbbell Rows 3x12 -
Shoulder Shrugs 3x10 (heavy) -
Bent over lateral raise 3x10

Finish with:
Sit-ups 2x25
Planks 2 sets up 1 min each

Cardio: 10-20 min on elliptical

Tuesday (Lower) *should be a heavier workout*

Squats 3x10 (65%-70% of your max)
Step-ups 3x10
DB Calf Raises 3x10 (heavy)
Box Jumps 3x10q

Finish with:
Side Planks 2x30secs each side
Leg raises 2x10

Cardio: Ride a bike/swim/sports

Wednesday (Cardio)

1/2 Mile Run (push yourself to run fast)
15 min on elliptical
*THIS IS ALL YOUR DOING FOR THE DAY SO MAKE IT COUNT AND PUSH YOURSELF*

Thursday (Upper)

Regular curls 3x12
Incline bench press 3x12
Push ups 3x8
Standing Lateral Raises 3x10
Incline DB Row 3x10 (heavy)
Reverse Curls 3x8 (heavy) *forearms*

Finish with:
Russian Twists 2x60secs
Bicycle Crunches 2x60secs

Cardio: 10 min Elliptical

Friday (lower)

Bulgarian Split Squat 3x10
Goblet Squat 3x12
DB Calf Raises 3x12
DB Side Lounges 3x8
DB Walking Lounges 3x10 (each leg)
DB Double Leg RDLs 3x10

Finish with:
Planks 2x60secs

Cardio: Eliptical

Saturday (rest)

Eat well
Get sleep
Try and get a little cardio in

Sunday (recovery/calisthenics)

Push-ups 3x15
Sit-ups 3x20
Pull ups 2xfailure
Dips 2x failure
Planks 2x60secs

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,133 Member
    What are your goals and what is your height and weight?

Instead of stretching before you train do a light full ROM set for each body part instead.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    For your cardio, running slow and easy will burn more calories and is less likely to cause injury than "run as fast as you can" without warmup.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 574 Member
    Right off the bat, I'd say your calories are too low (depending on weight and height) and you need one full rest day in there somewhere. Running as fast as you can for 15 minutes is not a rest day, imo
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,783 Member
    What's your starting exercise history or fitness level? What's your current height, weight, and age?

Without knowing those things, it's hard to give you sensible advice. (Since you're in school, I'd infer that you're somewhat young, but "how young" matters. I'd also infer that you consider yourself overweight, but specifics matter there, too.) I assume when you say "CAL DEFICIT - 1500-1700cal a day", it's 1500-1700 that you're eating, not that you've cut that much below maintenance calories.

In general, I agree with others above that 1500-1700 gross calorie intake is unlikely to be minimally adequate for a young male who is very active. (While 3rd parties' calorie needs don't determine yours, I would think it still might reasonably give you pause that a non-large li'l ol' lady like me loses weight on several hundred calories daily more than that!)

If you've not been routinely active before this, this is too much exercise load to start with. (That's probably true even if you've been moderately active before.) The best plan - for fitness and weight loss both - is to develop a plan that's a moderate, manageable challenge at the start, then to increase gradually as that routine becomes easier.

Recovery - between workouts - is where the magic "rebuilding better" happens. Don't short-change that. The sweet spot, IMO, is a total exercise load that maybe causes a few minutes of "whew" after each workout, but leaves you energized for the rest of your day(s), not exhausted and dragging.

Don't go max effort on all your cardiovascular (CV) exercise. Elite CV athletes don't do that, and they have the best professional advice money can buy. The general rule for good CV training is a large percentage of lower-intensity work of relatively longer duration, and a smaller percentage of higher intensity work. Even then, IMO beginners should go all moderate intensity (on the CV side) for the first few weeks to create an endurance foundation, then add small amounts of higher intensity once or twice a week.

I infer that you're young, and that sometimes comes with a perspective that change happens fast - many months seems like a long time - and that it's best achieved through going one's hardest for a short-ish time. That's not how it works. The best reward is a sustainable life routine that first gets you fit and to a healthy weight (plus general good health), then keeps you there long term, ideally forever.

Focus on good life balance, and long-term thriving. The best route to that is a sensible, step-by-step, sustainable moderate approach.

As a bonus, once you learn the patient planning, self-assessment, and plan-adjustment skills that build gradually to achieving huge goals over a period of time, those very same skills can be applied in other parts of your life: Education, career development, financial planning, and more. It can be life enhancing, I promise.

Best wishes!

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    This seems very frenetic and if you’re truly running that size of a deficit, not a good plan at all, especially if you’re relatively new to exercise.

Any “competition” here is all in your own head. I’m at the gym, and frankly, I’m so immersed in myself I don’t care what weight you’re throwing around in a frenzy like Pigpen’s cloud.

Yeah, you’ll lose quickly, but cause a lot of potential damage to your one and only body, and probably regain all this weight+friends equally as quickly.

Please consider slowing it down, learning new habits, doing it thoughtfully and carefully.

You have a lifetime to build up to higher weights. I’m pleased every time I add five or ten to something. My trainer seldom works me to failure on a single exercise, and if she does, it’s a slow build of several stations til I reach the end of our hour and just can’t finish a set. It’s a slow methodical build.m. You sound like you’re charging out the gate towards failure.

Be kind to yourself. If it’s constantly working to failure, then failure you’re gonna get.

Do it right the first time so it’s not a cycle of win fail win fail win fail. Because those aren’t really wins.

Hugs and much success to you.