Anyone Else Need a Paleo/Primal Challenge?

Options
I'm suffering here. I'm allergic to wheat and I lost a lot of weight when I cut it out. But over time it's been replaced with higher calorie gluten free baked goods, and tons of rice. I hate the insulin response the white rice gives me and I still eat a ton of coconut rice that makes it hard to stay within my calorie goals. I have a sneaking suspicion my beloved dairy is also causing swelling and weight retention, but I'm not ready to give it up. I feel that if I could limit my intake of sugar and other simple carbs I would feel better, and especially if I got rid of cheese I would probably get off this plateau.

I am writing with a belly full of coconut rice asking if anyone wants to start a weekly primal challenge. I say primal as opposed to paleo because it's all about percentages and balance with primal, and dairy and potatoes are allowed in moderation. The challenge would be to eliminate the following as much as possible:

- sugar
- wheat, corn, rice, and other grains
- no starchy carbs like potatoes, but limited yams and sweet potatoes ok
- limit soy
- limit dairy and other processed products

The diet focuses on meat, veggies, and fruit. In the past, I have felt my best focusing on these 3 foods but my husband is a carb lover and got me into big plates of Jamaican rice. :grumble:. I am trying to transition back to eating more primal but need more support and accountability.

The challenge would be to declare where YOU want to start in terms of eating more primal and commit to it A WEEK AT A TIME. We would report in what we ate and how it made us feel.

Veterans are welcome but this challenge would not be about being perfect, so no demonization of foods allowed! I strongly believe the healthiest diet is what work for YOU, and this challenge is just about finding it.

Anyone with me?

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    sounds good im about a month and a half into primal and often have lapses... i try to keep it 80 primal
  • snkeller24
    Options
    This may be good for me because right now I'm struggling with staying the straight and narrow ...
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I'm in, trying to lose last few pounds and i am also doing my own low carb thing , i am focusing more on fruits meat and carbs
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Great, shall our small group do some thinking and planning and start this weekend? I know it's usually Monday but during the weekend many of really have time to carefully consider what we eat and can prep for the weekday. If you're in, please read the read the primal blueprint101 below:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

And then post:

Why are you trying Primal eating? Have you done it before?

What will be your biggest challenge going primal? How do you plan to overcome it?

Name your top 3 goals for this week out of the primal lifestyle recommendations.

On Sunday I would like everyone to come up with a plan for what they will eat during the week (preparation is the key to success!)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    today is my sunday lol

anyway lets see
    1 I was introduced to it via a few mfps as a way to break this long platuea been working with it about a month

2 challenge is that my wife cooks everything and isnt doing it so she often cooks non primal foods the solution i worry the hell out of her about it, kidding i make adjustments

3 main goal is to get back on track with primal eating
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am in for a primal challenge! The crossfit gym I hit is doing a 6-week challenge and my co-worker is doing it. I starting going late and wasn't sure about the committment, but this would be perfect!
  • SherryTX
    SherryTX Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh the first thing I did was search paleo and I find this thread! Awesome! This could be just what I need!

**Why are you trying Primal eating? Have you done it before?**
    Because when I keep to it, even only 75% of the time, I feel better, have more energy and even lose some weight. I first tried it this summer, but fell off the wagon in by August. I have several friends I know that have been on paleo/primal for quite a while and it has been remarkable how it has helped them.

**What will be your biggest challenge going primal? How do you plan to overcome it?**
    1. Other people - 4 of my kids and husband live with me - he is fine with eating this way at home, but struggling to find enough food that is primal that all the kids will eat. I plan to just go back to the lists suggested in the Paleo Diet Solution and Primal Blueprint, and have the kids (again) go through the list with me. Also, make sure we make some primal goodie once a week to try, like maybe coconut blueberry muffins.
    2. Time/energy -is a huge issue as well. My husband and I both work full time, and with all the other responsibilities we eat out, have delivery or fast food or buy convenience food too much.
    To over come that - better menu planning and being better about grocery shopping. AND making the kids help cook more.

**Name your top 3 goals for this week out of the primal lifestyle recommendations.**
    1. Cook/eat at home for at least 5 breakfasts/lunches and dinners out of the week, and have at least 3 of the kids take primal friendly lunches to school 3 days a week (AND stop eating the breakfast at school 3 days a week).
    2. At least 4 hours of walking for the week (I just restarted walking my dog again now that the TX scorcher has abated)
    3. Work on getting more sleep. This is actually a huge issues for me. I have trouble sleeping at least 3 to 4 nights a week.

I think Sunday is a great day to start!
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I want to join this challenge. I actually started yesterday.

1........I am allergic to wheat and highly sensitive to most grains. I think my sensitivity to corn has recently developed into a full blown allergy. I have eaten this way off and on for 3 years. I always go back to my beloved GF grains even though I know what they do to me. I really want to do this !!!

2.......My biggest obstacle is wine. I LOVE my wine. I have done really well this week, and I know i can do it!

3.......My goals for this week are to stay grain free, limit my wine to weekends only, and to run or do JM video every day. I would also like to be down at least 3 lbs by next Sunday.

I am really excited about this challenge! I'm so glad I came across this thread. Feel free to friend me.
  • cutmd
    Options
    I guess I should answer my own questions :tongue:

Why are you trying Primal eating? Have you done it before?
    As I said before, I am allergic to wheat, and probably have a growing dairy allergy. Sugar seems to make me gain at any calorie intake level. Therefore, primal seems like a good way to develop eating habits that work for me. When I ate that way years ago I lost a ton, don't remember how I did it though!

What will be your biggest challenge going primal? How do you plan to overcome it?
    I'm addicted to all the things the primal/Paleo lifestyle limits. Chocolate, cheese, tortilla chips, popcorn - my faves! Also hubby's tasty rice

Name your top 3 goals for this week out of the primal lifestyle recommendations.
    1. No sugar
    2. No dairy
    3. Continue regular exercise
    Not ready to cut corn and rice yet, but will limit to one incident each in the week

On Sunday I would like everyone to come up with a plan for what they will eat during the week
    Meals I use include spinach salad with grilled chicken, chicken and veggie stir fry, stir fry with kelp noodles, sweet potatoes, unlimited fruit, veggies and water.
  • SherryTX
    Options
    Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that one before.
    I am cleaning out the pantry, and hope to do the same with the fridge later tonight. Hopefully I can get my grocery list set up so when I go shopping either later tonight or in the morning it will be all primal friendly. Will have my plan read some time Sunday!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I keep wanting to try this and have tried with varying success, but it's probably like quitting smoking, it takes a few tries before you get it right, strategies that work, etc.
    I went without flour for a time, but have a hard time eliminating grains entirely. I want to try to focus on meat, fruit, and veggies but I also like pizza! but I liked the recipes on the blog you posted! I am going to make the omelet muffins for breakfast for the week, I think with bacon and mushroom, sounds good.
    For lunch I am going to take grilled chicken breasts with a bag of salad, I like salad with fruit and nuts, I think pear and walnuts this week. A chicken, pear, walnut salad for lunch with a simple dressing and maybe alternate with leftover dinner so I don't get bored. I am going to crockpot a roast with veggies. DH's birthday is this week, maybe I can have a steak dinner, but, instead of fries I'll have to have a salad!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this challenge! Last week I didn't eat any gluten and I lost three pounds! This week I am going to try to not eat any grains. I will probably continue to eat milk products this week.

I am doing this because I want to get healthier. I cook a lot of my own food, but I would like cook more of it. I would like to have more energy and more focus. I also want to look better and feel better about my body.

My biggest challenges will be not drinking beer and cutting out rice. Another challenge of mine will be eating enough vegetables, the preparation usually thwarts me.

My three goals for this weeks:
    1. Not eating grains
    2. Walking at least 3 days and lifting at least one.
    3. Keep my carbs under 150 grams a day. This would be a huge reduction from my previous intake.
  • SherryTX
    Options
    I am still working on the over all plan but I have come up with some solutions for meals:
    breakfast (for me) 3 eggs scrambled with 1/2 cup spinach, one tomato and some shredded cheese; maybe some coffee or herbal tea; 2 to 3 times this week
    breakfast another 2 to 3 times: cottage cheese with berries, some coffee or herbal tea
    pancakes - still messing with which recipes to use - haven't found one I like yet
    Gluten Free Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Muffins (coconut flour)
    Lunch: a few times this week - left overs from dinner; salad, etc. maybe eggs
    Dinner: okay - this is where it is tricky because my family can be picky:
    1 steak with salad (tomato, lettuce/greens mixture) sweet potatoes
    2 Spaghetti Squash with sauce I make (dice tomatoes, spices, tomato paste and ground turkey burger or hamburger)
    3 Fish (whatever is in the freeze cod or talapia, etc.), white or wild rice, salad (not sure on this yet)
    4 Paleo pizza with eggplant crust (may substitute coconut flour for almond, as one of my kids may be allergic to almonds)
    not sure about the rest of the week
    Snacks: cottage cheese, berries, apples, cucumbers, grapes (a lot of fruit I know!), may make some coconut flour blueberry muffins this week.

So that's the plan! =)
  • amysj303
    Options
    I think for this week, my challenge will be eating paleo for breakfast, lunch and snack and slowly making more and more dinner paleo but for not it's just breakfast and lunch. Have my bacon mushroom omelette muffins but I haven't eaten one yet.
    Also, I am having berries and kefir, which I think is an acceptable form of dairy. I have chicken with salad and fruit for lunch.
  • cutmd
    Options
    SherryTX, your meal plan sounds tasty! For the fam you can also make regular meals like steak, potatoes, and veggies and largely skip the potatoes

Spngbobmyhero, sounds like you have a good solid plan. Totally grain free is ambitious but I'm sure you can do it!

Asjerven - hello, and welcome to my small cadre! Baby steps are a great idea!

As for me, my primary challenge this week is dairy (and of course I always avoid wheat). I have told myself, "anything but that", so the sugar is secondary and I'm allowing popcorn. This means my meal plan will have to substitute cheese, so I bought some daiya cheese for my kelp noodle spaghetti recipe

My days are typically:

Fasting until around noon (or 4hrs after last food), another primal/Paleo thing
    Tea or coffee
    Lunch - meat and veggie stir fry, kelp noodle spaghetti, leftover chicken and veggies.
    Going to buy some spinach for a salad base, using a mustard and apple cider vinegar salad dressing.
    This week I will add in more soups -cabbage and kale soup with chicken breast, veggie soup, occasional lentil since I bought leak proof Pyrex.
    Also will start incorporating mini meals, yesterday I had a nectarine, then a banana, etc. Will boil some eggs tonight to toss in my lunch bag for that purpose.

Dinner - I usually eat a big dinner with hubby, he often cooks but doesn't use dairy and knows about my wheat issues. It's usually chicken baked or fried without flour, steak, or grilled fish, usually served with potatoes, plantain, or rice. I will just eat everything but the rice and a little of other carbs, I usually have to cook my own veggies since DH is childish about them :laugh:
  • amysj303
    Options
    I thought the omelette muffin was good, and lunch was good. I probably needed more chicken, but everything was tasty. I put half the pear on my salad and had the other half for a snack.
    Mexican food tonight, though, but I am just focused on breakfast and lunch this week!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free from last week and lost 3 lbs in first 6 days.. not got back on scales yet.

I am allowing rice and oats but not bread, pasta.. I do have a gluten free loaf to have toast once a week with poached eggs.

I'm not sure whether I have a wheat intolerance I'm just trying it to lose weight, only thing I've kept with flour is my mini yorkshire pudding with sunday dinner but I replaced the potatoes with swede mash.

I only had rice once since last monday and not had potatoes yet, replaced with parsnip, butternut squash and swede, allowing sweet potato once a week.

I think my main problem was was having wheat based cereal or toast for breakfast,, either sandwiches at lunchtime or toast for supper and potateos, rice, pasta with every meal everyday.. just making them into smaller portions hasn't seemed to helped.

I will probably allow the odd treat and reintroduce some carbs more frequently once I've got most of my weight off.

so far I've also found I don't put as much water retention on throughout day.. yesterday at end of day I was only 1 lb heavier, previously my weight went up by 3-5 lbs by end of day and 6lbs or more with monthly cycle.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    grain free so far today :) I don't know if all of the food I am eating is entirely gluten or grain free, but I believe it is and I feel great. I usually have to eat around 3 or four, but its already 630 and I'm just getting hungry. I am not cutting out legumes because I eat them a lot and I don't really get the intestinal distress that most people do.

Roasted chicken with roasted root veggies for dinner tonight :)
  • SherryTX
    Options
    So far not TOO bad today, though I had to rush to an unexpected conference call and was thinking and grabbed some OJ, even though I don't plan on drinking a lot of juice (I normally don't, but did buy some because my kids were begging me and I haven't come up with a good solution for Gatorade and juice replacements yet - they are not keen to do just water).
    I will probably go a bit over my carb goals for today, but still under (hopefully) my calorie count. Since I have so much weight to loose I do still count calories. Yesterday went really well, though, so I am not going to worry too much about it.

Going to make some steak (cow and buffalo) tonight for the family! I need to research homemade dressings. I won't have dressing, but they do love Ranch and Thousand Island. I hope to find some sort of healthier solution to both of those by next week because they are not dry salad eaters lol.

I am so glad this thread was started - its nice to compare notes! =)