Underarm & Back 'Fat' Exercises?????

Options
72lori
72lori Posts: 6,758 Member
Any suggestions out there to target that area of 'stuff' that pokes up over your bra under your arms and on your back? I do strength train, hit all the areas- arms, chest, shoulders, back, etc. I am starting to see toning and reults in my arms, shoulders, chest and legs. Is it a matter of time or are there certain exercises that will help better than others? I'm hoping that with losing more weight, my percentage of body fat will decrease and eventually that area will decide to lose it's extra too. Any advice from those of you that have had success is much appreciated!

Replies

• 72lori
    Options
    Any suggestions out there to target that area of 'stuff' that pokes up over your bra under your arms and on your back? I do strength train, hit all the areas- arms, chest, shoulders, back, etc. I am starting to see toning and reults in my arms, shoulders, chest and legs. Is it a matter of time or are there certain exercises that will help better than others? I'm hoping that with losing more weight, my percentage of body fat will decrease and eventually that area will decide to lose it's extra too. Any advice from those of you that have had success is much appreciated!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    unfortunately you can't target fat.... at all. Your body will take from wherever is most accessibile. Eventually it will come off but you can't target it. Keep up with your deficit and the cardio and fat will keep coming off. :flowerforyou:
  • heybay327
    Options
    i feel for ya, i really was to lose some fat in my back :grumble:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ive actually had luck doing the following excercise and have taken 4 inches off of that area you stand with feet apart holding a weight in one hand and you kind of do a lawnmower pull action and drop the weight to your calf and bring it back up in the air again keeping the arm straight....I hope that helped lol not sure if I described it properly..Good luck!! bend your knees to the same side your pulling up from and then after those reps do the other side...private message me if u need better explanation
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    If you like, can and are able to try lap swimming...especially swimming the back stroke! I had the same issue....started lap swimming twice a week for an hour. Burned mucho calories and shed a good 4-5 inches across my back, chest and shoulders, as well as shape up my arms which I have always had a problem with. Have gone from a size 16-18 woman to now a sz "12."
  • bonski
    bonski Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ive actually had luck doing the following excercise and have taken 4 inches off of that area you stand with feet apart holding a weight in one hand and you kind of do a lawnmower pull action and drop the weight to your calf and bring it back up in the air again keeping the arm straight....I hope that helped lol not sure if I described it properly..Good luck!! bend your knees to the same side your pulling up from and then after those reps do the other side...private message me if u need better explanation

Thanks I will have to remember this one.

BTW this was a good question, and generally I have heard you can't spot reduce, I think that you can do exercises to concentrate on certain areas so I will try the exercise that myastyme suggested.

Bonnie
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    It just takes time- Those are 2 of the many trouble spots on a woman- Keep up with the cardio and the strength training- try increasing either the weight you are using and the reps--

It will start to go away- just keeping working at try different workouts switch up your workouts
  • 72lori
    Options
    I also know you can't really pick one 'spot' and expect to see results there. It's a whole body sort of thing. I was mainly wondering if there are better exercises than others to tone this area.

Today I noticed at the gym I was not alone with this problem. Many women, even ones smaller than me had the same 'extra stuff' popping out over top of their bras under their arms and on their back and I realized it must be a hard area to change. It got me wondering what else I could do to work it!
  • lgochya
    lgochya Posts: 39
    Options
    If you are working out a gym, I love the Lat pull down machine, as well as the chest presses, these 2 have helped me alot!! ALso use the dumbell overhead, lower the weight down to your shoulder and back up, helps with the extra wave when your done waving thing!! Keep working it you'll get it!! Good luck!! Lisa
  • LaLuz
    LaLuz Posts: 6
    Options
    good old fashion push up will do the trick.. i do muay thai so i do about 50 push ups a day.. and they really help that area..
    have fun.. start off with however many you can do for 30 seconds repeat 3 X ..
  • 72lori
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do work out at a gym and there aren't really any machines I don't use, plus a lot of free weights. I think I heard my answer. Keep it up, it will happen. Sometimes you just need to hear it out loud!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Totally was gonna suggest the "lawnmower starter". My Body Sculpt instructor swears by it.