Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Inflammation or what?

Hi everyone, I'm 39/F/249lbs, and down 60 lbs so far.

I'm experiencing something that is really concerning me and would love some input if anyone has experienced this!

I spent about 3 years at my highest weight, over 300lbs. At that weight my body felt like crap. I was very stiff to the point where it was hard bending over and doing basic daily tasks. It felt like constant inflammation like my muscles and joints felt stiff, tight and painful like a burning/aching sensation.

Once I started losing weight and getting active my health and mobility improved a ton, of course. I started viewing those old feelings of inflammation (or whatever it is) as being related to that old 300lb version of me, not something I'd have to deal with again.

Well, over the past couple days my body, for whatever reason, feels all those same painful sensations again. I don't think I've done anything differently with my diet or exercise. But my whole body feels stiff and painful, like a burning sensation in my muscles and joints.

I was going to just rest today but ended up doing a very light workout to get the blood flowing. It made me feel better in the moment but now everything aches and burns again. I'm drinking a lot of water to try and lubricate things.

I really don't know if this is what inflammation is, or if it could be something else. Any insight is hugely appreciated!

P.S. i think it may sound like I'm just overdoing the exercise, but i don't think this is the case as my workouts are not streneous. I'm just aiming for 5 days/week of 30 mins workouts - things like walking, elliptical, light dumbbell workouts, etc., nothing crazy!

Replies

• Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 533 Member
    Hi, DecemberPsalm

Have you had a blood test done recently? This may or may not be related, but for years I had an all-over achy stiffness feeling in my entire body that miraculously started to improve within only a week of being medicated for hypothyroidism.

One thing I did notice when I went on a research spree, conditions such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Lupus, as well as others seem to have inflammation flare ups, that could help explain why symptoms are inconsistent for you, appearing to get better and then worse. Maybe something to look into.

I hope you find out your issue. I feel a lot better since I've been medicated.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    edited August 16
    Definitely see your doctor and have some blood tests done.

There are a number of joint disorders, many of them auto-immune disorders, that can cause inflammation like that. Blood tests can help narrow down what's going on.

Last year, I was diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease. This basically means I have an auto-immune joint disorder, but there's not enough evidence to say if it's Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, lupus, etc. I'm now on medication that has helped significantly, and I have not had a flare since starting the medication.

Not saying something like that is your issue, but your doctor should rule it out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,629 Member
    I second the recommendation to see your doctor, to rule out relevant health issues.

Questions I'd have, though:

1. how fast you lost the 60 pounds,
    2. what your eating routine looks like (main food choices, average macro intake if you're tracking, timing, etc.),
    3. how your sleep quality/quantity is,
    4. stress level (physical and psychological).

Any of those can influence inflammation, or affect how we feel through other mechanisms. It's hard for me to comment about possibilities without knowing more. It could be a health condition - not necessarily something dire, potentially something treatable. But the numbered items above (and probably some I'm forgetting) could also be relevant.

Best wishes!
  • Timberheidi
    Timberheidi Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there from California! First, congrats on your progress!Thats quite an achievement. Well, the only thing I would suggest is that when you see your DR, have them check for prediabetes with the A1c test. I was just recently diagnosed with prediabetes 2weeks ago. At that point I was generally feeling achy, but especially my hands were swollen and felt like I was getting arthritis. I immediately got back on my fitpal and changed to a low carb,prediabetic diet. After only 10 days, my hands feel no pain, the swelling is gone, it’s just a miracle. I wish you the best and know you will get to the bottom of your health issues.
  • poodle_whisper
    poodle_whisper Posts: 8 Member
    sounds like maybe lupus. which is really lengthy to diagnose as its typically eliminating everything else first.