Hiding Food?

Options
2»

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Fast food, I hate it! .... but really I LOVE it, its my BIG problem, its fast, its easy, its cheap, and lets just be truthful it taste good! Now I know that there is nothing worng with fast food now and then, but you don't weight 400+ pounds eating out every now and then. I feel the guilt after I eat but that doesnt stop me from going the next day and eating it again, I will even hid the bags from my family, NOT that I dont want to share, it that I dont want them to KNOW that I eat all that!!! Sometimes Im not even that hungry I just want to taste of a taco or burger ect, in my mouth. Am I the only one that does this? If you have overcome what are some of your success tips?

Nope... honestly I dont do this and havent because of knowing the quality (or lack-thereof) to begin with. Its very easy to overcome this but that is only 10% of the problem, the 90% is you.... you have to want to end this addiction (from the sound of it)... Make your own Taco beef..... then learn how you can make it even healthier perhaps using ground turkey or ground chicken?

You have to have a reality check that fast food is not good food - no matter what junk they put in it to make it taste good... Personally, I cant get my car window up in enough time from the nasty STENCH of fast food.. makes me want to hurl right there in my car.... its not pretty! LOL!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It’s about love & dedication. You have to love yourself & be dedicated to get to where you are going. By the way…, how can your family truly support you, if you are hiding $h!T from them. You are only hurting yourself in the long run. Please stop what you are doing & walk down a different path; it’s worth the journey…
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    Go out and find a copy of the book "Chew on This". It tells you what is really in the "food" served at these places. It is rather disgusting and when you find yourself thinking about that fast food meal and then think about what it really is (fecal matter, rendered beef fat and more "good" stuff), the resulting upset stomach will be enough to help you drive away from the place.

From the description of the book:
    "In the New York Times bestseller Chew on This, Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson unwrap the fast-food industry to bring you a behind-the-scenes look at a business that both feeds and feeds off the young. Find out what really goes on at your favorite restaurants—and what lurks between those sesame seed buns.Praised for being accessible, honest, humorous, fascinating, and alarming, Chew On This was also repeatedly referred to as a must-read for kids who regularly eat fast food. Having all the facts about fast food helps young people make healthy decisions about what they eat. Chew On This shows them that they can change the world by changing what they eat.Chew on This also includes action steps, a discussion guide."
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Exercise? Positive social outlets? I used to sneak food as a kid--just remembered that, even though I wasn't an overweight kid. I would sneak and hide food as a teenager, and was heavy. I think there were lots of factors--we don't want to think we're emotional eaters but we are. I firmly believe there are addictive substances in fast foods. I used to be totally addicted to fried chicken. I actually dreamed:love: about it for about a month :noway: after I weaned myself off of it some years back. Yep, then it progressed to sneaking food, then sneaking the purging--most of my friends don't know about that--not to the extent it got to. There are still some trigger foods I can't control myself around. I just know I can't have them or I binge & sometimes purge.

I have to say MFP has really helped with this. I can manage the calories in/ exercise so much better. Now if I eat something "bad" I log it and make sure to work out to try to keep on track. I'm not perfect and still overdo it sometimes, but logging everything you eat and your activities is truly a good goal to keep things in perspective. I commend you for putting this issue out there. Feel free to friend me if you like. I think most of us have dealt with some sort of food/eating/control issues on this site.:flowerforyou:
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Go out and find a copy of the book "Chew on This". It tells you what is really in the "food" served at these places. It is rather disgusting and when you find yourself thinking about that fast food meal and then think about what it really is (fecal matter, rendered beef fat and more "good" stuff), the resulting upset stomach will be enough to help you drive away from the place.

^Thanks for this! Looks very interesting!^
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Are you hiding the food out of guilt for not wanting to let them down or are you hiding the food to avoid the questions/concerns that eating it might pose? I think it is important to understand what your motivation is for hiding it. The fact that you are hiding it is concerning. I think it is the real issue at hand. You can pack a lunch, keep snacks with you at all times, or any of the other really great suggestions but I think until you understand your motivation for the sneaking, the need will still be there and you will just find another destructive outlet to fullfill this need.

Don't get me wrong, most people enjoy fast food now and then and an indulgence is not the end of the world, but why the hiding?
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great answers in here that worked for lots of people... The hardest part is finding what works for YOU. For me? It was a financial issue as well as a health issue. Here is what worked for me.

We tracked our finances one month. I mean tracked EVERYTHING, to the penny. After the month was over we categorized everything so we could properly assess where we were spending our money. Fast Food was a staggering portion of our finances (and of course our calories). We had no idea we were spending so much on horrible quality food.

So my advice for you... track what you spend, track what you eat on MFP, and compare the logs after a set period of time. Once you have all the data in front of you then you can make a rational real choice on the matter.

Best of luck to you! Have a blessed day!
  • lms32164
    lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that and not going back. As my husband once lovingly said "Honey, who do you think your hiding it from?" He was right. I wasn't gaining weight by just eating what he saw me eat. I was a HUGE sneak eater. I must say what changed for me was I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and I knew I needed to change my evil ways. God bless!